1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education What did you do with your degree

Discussion in 'General' started by Archtronics, 21 Dec 2011.

1. Akkatha

Akkatha *SCREECH!* /run away.

I'm aware of this. I think my point is more based around the fact that I know a lot of people, friends, family and acquaintances that got degrees and have changed career path drastically. A lot of them are now in jobs that never required A-Levels, let alone a degree to get into.

It just seems a bit silly to be paying out extra cash for 30 years (over half your working life!) for something that wasn't necessary. Then again I'm the kind of man who avoids credit cards and loans as much as possible. I hate interest of any kind :p

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I suppose the value of a degree depends on where you are, and what market you're in.
    I know that I don't have a degree (did a 1-year full time course in Software development - essentially an MCSD with a few bells and whistles, minus the international papers), and yet somehow managed to go from First-line tech -> Web Developer -> Software Developer -> Senior Software Developer -> Manager (software development) at a major international financial services provider by age 26.
    I am now 28, and was recently considered for National head of IT for a large bank (53K employees). Didn't get the job, but was told in confidence that that was due to reasons other than my skills.

My better half ont he other hand has a B.Psych, and can't get even an admin job. Either over qualified, or in the field, but too expensive. She's working on her Master's now, hoping that that changes things, but as a Psychological Counsellor, you're either being shafted here or double-ended... your call.

3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Not necessarily true.

1/3 of all jobs are 'non-degree specific'. Meaning that 1/3 of employers want somebody with a degree but don't mind what that degree is in (obviously with-in reason, a BSc is generally better regarded than Ba, and degree's in silly subjects simply don't cut it).

This is because most degrees demonstrate a level of intelligence, commitment and ability that is transferable to many types of employment.

The problem a lot of graduates have is that they seem to feel that their degree entitles them to something. I see graduates everyday that have a degree but 0% work experience. As an employer that tells me that they may be quite smart, but they are lazy and didn't support themselves, there is no excuse for not getting some bar work or at least volunteering while undertaking a degree - prove to employers that you're not lazy.

I hold a BSc 1:1 in Psychology myself - I don't work in the field, but a lot of the skills I've learnt are very transferable. I've worked since I was 15, and worked to support myself through uni. I was lucky enough to get a very good job straight out of uni, but that was little to do with my degree, that's was because I could demonstrate successes and achievements already, as well as the fact that I interview extremely well. The majority of my university friends, didn't manage to secure jobs due to the recession....some wouldn't look outside of graduate posts....they are still looking. Those that took trolley pushing jobs at Tesco, now work in the areas they wanted to (even if not at all related), and that's because them demonstrated drive and willing.

I'm in a position where at only 25, I've recruited quite a few graduate myself - what there degree is has some influence, but mostly it's what level they achieved (shows the effort they put in), and what else they did outside of that degree.

I distinctly remember a news report last year on a girl that achieved a 1:1 in Literacy from Cambridge (no small feat), whom was suing the university because she couldn't get a job 12 months after graduating. She wouldn't consider anything below C21,000 a year (the average national graduate wage), and frankly she interviewed poorly on TV. DON'T BE THAT PERSON.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2012
  4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Key points for your other half, as it's an area of personal interest for me

-Does your OH have relevant psychological experience? If not she could volunteer for charities such as MIND, MENCAP, DIAL, etc.

-Is her psych degree British Psychological Society certified?

5. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

Graduated with a BSc in Chemistry and now work as a Researcher for a worldwide manufacturer of Household Goods, did an internship with the company during my degree for a year and was offered a contract with them before I went back to uni so when I graduated in June last year I think started work August 1st :)

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Minimal:
    Quick note: Location, mate... we're in Namibia. That means BPS is irrelevant (and yes, she's registered as a Psychological counsellor - all she can be until she gets her masters, and the local uni is not accepting masters students 3 years running now) - with the HPCNA (Health professions council of Namibia).
    She did a full year internship to get registered, and has been in private practice for 2 years now, since noone's employing counsellors.
    our charities (lifeline, childline, etc) train their own "Counsellors" in a 3 week crash course, and therefore don't even look at HPCNA registered people.
    The university spits out 8-12 potential counsellors a year, and the ministry of health and social services (MOHSS) hires 2.

It's a complex subject, and if you want to, I can inbox you the details to see what you think. In very short: BS Namibian politics with fat cats sitting at the top, making the rules to protect and enrich themselves, and defrauding insurances. Example: the OH got slammed by HPCNA for having a website (where she added her number, and blogged about "dealing with breakups", for example... clearly in scope), for it being unethical (which is ********, but lawyers t contest that simply cost too much). The same people that slammed her have websites themselves for their psychiatry centres, etc...

7. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Disclaimer: Not read any other posts in the thread.

My 2 pence however, are that a degree is totally worthless unless you want to work in a medical, legal, engineering or advanced science field.

In my own experience much more important are: early education, upbringing, contacts and personality.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with learning on-the-job, and imho, this should actually be preferable to a prospective employer.

8. MiNiMaL_FuSS

Just wanted to help a fellow psych graduate :)

Unfortunately I know sod all about Namibia, my bad for assuming we were talking about UK degrees.

Honestly, the best of luck, sounds like a tough situation.

BentAnat likes this.
  9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I always remember what an employer told me at in an interview - how their company saw degrees:

1st - Capable of doing the work, had/has no social life/skills

2:1 - Capable of doing the work, capable of balancing the work and a social life

2:2 - Capable of doing the work, got the work/social life balance a bit wrong

anything else - Wasn't capable of doing the work

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

@Red: that's a bit how I see it.
    To make matters trickier - some ComptSci degrees have curriculums that are so far behind the times, they do more harm than good.
    I normally interview the people employed in my department in person, and if I am unsure, I throw a few techincal questions their way. A bright spark is a bright spark, and a quick tehcnical question makes it easier to separate the fakers from the capable ones.
    @Minimal - thanks. I know you're trying to help. rep++.

11. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

@red that seems right for a none design based degree, Any degree based on design is a little different because all the marks are subjective this is by far the most annoying part of my degree as the marks can vary widely, Although I don't know if employers pay attention to this.

However I realise that a degree doesn't get you a job Who you know gets you a job...

12. RedFlames

Mine was a designed based degree and this was a design/art based employer. I also agree with your annoyance at subjective marking also known as 'I don't like you, you're getting bad marks'. Most design jobs require portfolios [and seemingly 6 million years worth of experience :wallbash:], the degree grade is generally only used to sort which ones they plan to look at.

I also learned the latter at my cost, got turned down for a job because the guy interviewing me didn't like one of my lecturers. It's hardly my fault that the guy was a Grade-A prat.

@BentAnat

My degree was a bit like that, when quizzed on why they were still teaching using Unreal 2004 engine rather than UE3/UDK we were basically told 'because it means we have to learn it and that requires effort'

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Yup.. that's sadly a very common issue when developing curriculae (is that the plural? or is it Curriculii? ).
    UT 2004 isn't that bad, though... I know a good few "colleges" around here that still teach Javascript as a subject (has me a bit ???), as well as Delphi...

Don't get me wrong - they're not bad as an introduction to CompSci and development, but surely something like .NET or Python would be similarly effective and more industry relevant...

14. RedFlames

It doesn't inspire much confidence when you get the feeling you're being taught from a 'for dummies' book and the teachers are only a few pages ahead of you.

15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Currently in my first year MMaths (yes, that's what the degree is).

Want to go into further study although it's a bit early to say yet. I've also thought about going to work for a big engineering/development company like ARM. Oh, and there's always the family business.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2012