1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 4890 bf3 glitches and speedfan

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mrdanie, 5 Mar 2012.

1. mrdanie

mrdanie What's a Dremel?

I upgrade my 4890 not so long ago to a 560 Ti as I wanted something quieter and cooler and to give BF3 more of a boost. The card was running fine and never had a problem with it, had also been playing BF3 since release.

Now the 4890 is in the father in laws machine and has been running okay for some time, however I recently upgraded the CPU from a c2duo to a c2quad q6600 and bought him battlefield 3. He was playing rage and it froze occasionally and had some glitches which I thought was the game. Uninstalled rage and installed BF3 and this was running okay for a few hours, then he started getting glitches, texture stretching and lines. Removed all drivers, re installed and tried again, about 10 minutes into the game the textures go weird and I then get a pink sparkling screen and then bsod.

Restart comp and load up speedfan, according to this the gpu temp is at 60 and the cpu about 50. Desktop use is fine. Re-install drivers and whack up the fan to about 50%, temps go down to around 50 and battlefield 3 is running okay since, just with a very noisy computer.

Is this temperature correct in speedfan? I would assume 60 degrees is okay for the 4890. I've never had problems before and i've never needed to control the fan manually. The card was also running for days on end with skyrim, mw3 and rage for a while. The only major change is the cpu but the fact that the fan increase has kept gaming stable would point to the gpu. I'm guessing its days are over. As a side note I have dismantled it and re applied thermal paste, removed dust (which there was hardly any) and this didn't change temps.

I've told him that he may need to get a new card which will give him better frames and less heat :) but I hope it is simply the card and nothing else...may have to have him try my card for a while.

2. Deders

Deders Modder

The temperature sensor will only give you the temp on the chip itself, other components may be running hot.

3. mrdanie

mrdanie What's a Dremel?

Got home to find it had been running bf3 for 6 hours without speedfan control and not a glitch...strange. Increased fan speed anyway just in case.