1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Best Dremel cutting disk for steel

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Parge, 13 Mar 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hi guys,

I have a Dremel 300. Could someone link me to the best attachment for cutting 1.2mm thick steel?

I'm finding it hard to work out which cutting disks are best for what!

Edit, also I'm after a few more sanding stones too - any recommendations?

Parge

Last edited: 13 Mar 2012
  2. m0t0k0

m0t0k0 What's a Dremel?

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I also have a Dremel 300 and I just use the standard cutting discs for all my cutting. They wear down pretty fast but get the job done...eventually.

1.2mm steel will be pretty hard going for a Dremel 300 though.

5. v3r73x

v3r73x What's a Dremel?

agreed - 1.2mm steel will be a big strain on the dremel even with the correct disk.

a proper grinder would probably be more suited.

6. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

right after purchase i tried my dremel-clone on very old (pentium 1 old) server chassis - make 10 mm cut and all seems well... later i cut that chassis to rip out pci-slots. 3 weels gone for 15cm cut and i was really disappointed. then i took my caliper and measure up thickness of chassis and it was 2.5 mm (or 1/10")... after that i make my own cutting disks from 0.8mm thick 120mm diam. cutting disk - dirt cheap, reliable but to wide cuts...

7. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I've been using http://www.dremeleurope.com/dremelo...=13091B5398780D26D909FF5204EEA8D8.s032-dremel with good effect.

I bought them a while back off Amazon - by far and away the cheapest THEN for them. Not sure if that is the case now though.

Avoid the grinding wheels that you get with the dremel (the ones that look like thin red disk- they wear down quite quickly when you try and cut steels, and you end up with loads of dust. The ones I've lined to seem to be harder wearing.

Make sure you read the recommended speed for cutting with them too. It makes a hell of a difference.