1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Resetting After an Hour

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by contrastinglight, 1 Mar 2012.

1. contrastinglight

contrastinglight What's a Dremel?

First things first

Have set xmp for the memory and I am currently running prime to see what it throws up........:eyebrow:

2. contrastinglight

crash tastic

Couple of strange things happened today, had set the memory at 1600 however it didnt seem to like that as I have had a bios splash screen saying the over clock never worked?It has been reset to 1333.

Ran prime for over an hour, walked into the room and the pc reset- however when rebooting into windows Prime was still running and there were no errors reported? how can this be? SUrely there shoudl have been an error reported?

It has since, crashed once on boot and once on accessing windows.
    Have started it in safe mode with networking and it seems to be working, i ll leave it for an hour to see if it is stable.

If it is then a fresh install of windows and updated drivers for all.
    Or am I missing something?
    Any help or advice is welcome,
    cheers,
    Richard

3. contrastinglight

Updated a whole host of drivers from the asus web site which were all pretty much manufacturer drivers as opposed to asus version- it still crashed after the updates.

So cleared out a 2.5 hard drive I had Lying about Using DiskPart which is very handy!! And proceded to install a new version of windows, however every time it had finished the majority of the installation and was starting set up it crashed and would not finish installing.........

The bedroom wall now has several dents from my head being banged up against it.

I now have a fresh copy of windows 7 and am trying to create a bootable usb version of windows with drivers included- just doesnt want to recognise the drivers!!

I thought this was gonna be easier than doing some DIY I am sadly mistaken....

any advice or pointers would be welcome?
    cheers,

Richard

4. contrastinglight

So from yesterdays events it proves one things it aint the SSD card causing the isssues as it happened on the 2.5 inch drive too, I have also stress tested the cpu with real temps and prime and the results indicate the cpu is sitting at 48 c whilst under load and 23 c whilst at rest.

I have also run a psu calculator to ensure i have enough power for my kit and I currently have at least 10 watts spare.

So still thinking its a driver issue,

cheers,

Richard

5. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Wait, what?! :jawdrop: What power supply have you got?

6. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

Whoa, yeah.

Power supplies can't actually supply 100% of the wattage they're rated for all of the time. For example, if you ran the PSU calculator and it said you needed 300W, you buy a 500W minimum.

Assuming that that isn't a typo, the power supply will be the cause of your problems. Be VERY careful if you are running it with just 10 watts spare, if that dies it could take out a lot of components with it.

7. Deders

Deders Modder

Which calculator did you use and what figures did you put it?

8. contrastinglight

Okay folk it is a typo- I have a 750 watt power supply, i have put the components through the extreme power supply - here http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Which is telling me the current set up requires minimum 609 and reccomends a 659 watt power supply.

So I should have over a 100 watts spare?:confused::confused::confused:

Richard

9. Deders

Deders Modder

Ahh but what 750W PSU do you have? They are not all made equal. Some should not be made at all.

10. contrastinglight

Antec HCP-750 GB High Current pro

cheers,

Richard

11. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

just to satisfy my own curiosity, try turning off SMART in the bios...

12. contrastinglight

Okay will do,

cheers,

Richard

13. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

That PSU has 80 Plus Gold certification and Antec is a good brand, so you will be fine with that PSU.

Sent from Bit-Tech Android app on Nexus S

14. contrastinglight

Ahhhh

Okay so I though we had cracked it with this option- Switched off smart and set prime to stress test- 6 1/2 hours later I was pretty happy until I stopped prime and went to click on shut down and it reset its self :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Ready to chuck this paper weigh out the window and by a mac........

Any Ideas ..... help

R

15. contrastinglight

so to reacapp -I have been having issues with my home built system fro some time now since i put it together,
    I was Initially having issues with the machine restarting after an hour to 45 minutes of tinckering not even being stressed at the time.

I have since had my 16gb of ram RMA and now have some new ram however the problem was still present.
    I had updated all drivers, flashed the ssd card flashed the bios however this was still happening- the last tweak prior to a fresh install was to switch off the smart hard drive facility and then went on to stress test iof for 6.5 hours and this did not fault it, however when I switched of prime and went to the start menue it crached -NO BSD just reset and reboot.

I have tried to install onto a 2.5 hard drive however it would not get through in stall without crashing and corrupting the install.

I have since gone on to place a new fresh install of windows onto the ssd drive as the 2.5 issue prooved it wasnt the ssd drive issue.

So since installing the new windows 7 64 bit home edition, I have updated the bios and also started installing the drivers,
    I have come accross another issue. After trying to install the latest drivers for the GC and rebooting after doing so I get past post and the windows splash screen and it goes blank- The hard drive inicator light is blinking away however the screen remains blank.

I have done several system restores to reslove this and gone back to the original drivers provided with the graphics card, however this is not working either- system goes blank after windows splash screen.

I am now thinking this is a Graphics card issue?

Any help and pointers would be greatful, am I on the right track?

Last edited: 3 Apr 2012
  16. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

The reason I asked you to turn off SMART was to try to figure out if you updated the M4 firmware successfully. I suspect you haven't.

Once updated should look like this in the device manager. If the number, circled in red, is less than 0309, try again. If it the Crucial utility won't update it, then burn an ISO.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Just read your last post. Shame on me for skipping it. Have you run memtest on the replacement RAM?

Last edited: 4 Apr 2012
  17. contrastinglight

Yep already Flashed the ssd Card- checked it any way and its on 309 :miffed:

I ran mem test on the ram for sevral hours when I first installed it,
    so I think I will try an RMA the mother board........

Thanks for your help,

Richard