1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Where to buy pins?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by enterobsidian, 11 Apr 2012.

1. enterobsidian

enterobsidian Hopless World Wonderer

Considering some plans for a future mod, but realised I will need new pins for the power supply. Does anyone know where the best place to get these from? I'm not adverse to ordering from Rs, Rapid, etc.

Cheers
    Enterobsidian

2. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

mdpc are supposed to have the best pins with their high wings

3. m0zes

m0zes What's a Dremel?

What pins are you specifically after - 24/8/6pin, Sata, 4pin peripheral, fan, usb/front header?

mdpc sell genuine molex mini-fit Jr [aka 24/8/6 pin] whilst most other online stores sell knock offs. Seeing as they are a molex product you can easily get them through any decent quality electronics store, the only thing will be the quantity you need - you'll typically only get them in large bulk orders. The other thing of course is how do you plan to use them, are you going to crimp them, solder etc?

If you're going to be crimping them and you need to buy a crimping tool then mdpc is by far your best choice as they have everything you need at a good price and there crimping tool is far and away the best cheap tool on the market - if you go for a genuine tyco tool you'll be looking at around $1000.

If you'll be soldering them onto the wire then it doesn't matter as much and you shouldn't have any trouble finding some at your local online modding store.

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Having read the other replies, I'm not sure if this is what you're after but I'll post it anyway.

Kustom PCs

5. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

the pins i have got from wcuk have done the job for me.

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

The MDPC-X pins are the best ones available in smaller quantities and are reasonably priced. However as mentioned previously buying in bulk means they're a lot cheaper. The molex part number for them is:

Male: 39-00-0040
    Female: 39-00-0038

Edit: I've just noticed they've substantially increased the price of the female pins since I last bought some. The ones I bought worked out at £0.0144 (VAT inclusive) each.

You need to make a minimum order of £20.

They're also good for 24/0.2 wire which matches the diameter and specification of AWG16. Most of the inexpensive 24/0.2 wire you can buy is about 2.3mm in diameter but the wire below is 2.04mm in diameter.

Black Wire

White Wire

The Molex pins for the 4 pin molex connector are obsolete now. The cheapest replacements I've found in smaller quantities are:

Female

Male

They also crimp reasonably well if you're using double wires providing the wires are around 2mm in diameter.

SATA Pins When MDPC-X stocked them I think they were a bit cheaper than this.

Fan Pins

Last edited: 13 Apr 2012