1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Raspberry Pi heading to customers next week

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 12 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

And I'm sure it will be worth the wait folks.

3. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

SQUEEEEE! I'm so excited. Got to brush up on my Python.

4. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

My R-pi has been estimated to arrive mid may for about a month now. Thankfully I've only a month left to wait for it. I hope.

5. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Between Farnell and RS, almost 1 million pre orders or 'interests' registered.

6. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

OMG, hope to get one soon :D

7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

A lovely little device it is indeed but seeing the specs I rather opt for a Zotax Zbox Nano XS AD11 for a small HTTP build.

8. nhojnomis

nhojnomis What's a Dremel?

its not exactly fair to compare a $359.99 computer to a $35 one is it?

9. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Moved on, too long for delivery, looked at other options, found some more expensive, but available now.

Also 1 million? majority of them must have been RS, Farnell rep stated 59K interest.

10. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

What about the specs of the Pi make you think that? It is more than capable of 1080p decoding over HDMI which is the main thing for a HTPC to do I would have thought.

Kimbie

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

That is probably the number only for your country, i don't think 59k users could DDoS the global Farnell website that easily.

12. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

I don't get why people were angry that it was delayed, it's not like the foundation owes them anything? I got up at 5.30am to get one of the first boards, didn't get one but was pleased for them that it was so popular. Expressed my interest at the time and since have my order in, I really want my board, but I'm not getting pissy about it.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've just learned that a select number of Farnell customers are being contacted for delivery, with the first drops being made tonight. There'll be some happy geeks this weekend!

14. mo2580

mo2580 What's a Dremel?

yeah ive waited so long for it, i hope i get one this time they sold out so quickly the first time.

15. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Some people just act like the world owes them, unfortunately.

We're all waiting for it to arrive...the way I see it, it's a bit of fun, it's cheap...it'll turn up when it turns out. No idea why people are getting arsey about it either.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I keep saying this over and over, but don't get yourselves too excited over the HTPC capabilities of this device. The GPU may indeed be capable of 1080p h.264 decoding, but that's only one codec out of who knows how many an HTPC will have to deal with. The performance of SD content is largely unknown at this point.

It is promising that the original Xbox managed to decode practically everything except h.264 using only a 700MHz chip, but that was an x86 chip - the RasPi uses ARM and therefore the clock speeds are not directly comparable, and it's a slightly older ARM instruction set.

It is a phenomenally powerful piece of kit for ~$35, but just don't expect to plug one into your TV and have a complete HTPC experience. At least not straight away, anyway; we will doubtless see some pretty nifty optimisations, but that stuff isn't going to happen overnight.

Eventually I plan to get my hands on a couple of these... It's more than capable of being a "general purpose" PC for the lounge - web surfing, etc - which should stop the other half hogging my main gaming PC so much! I'm also interested to see what sort of NAS performance I can get out of them; I know it's going to be ultimately limited by the USB performance, but if it's enough to stream HD content over a wired network then that'll be enough for me.

17. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

raspberry pi is making over £200 on e-bay!!!!!!

Tags: Add Tags