1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Hard drive advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Devious, 28 Apr 2012.

1. Devious

Devious What's a Dremel?

Hello.

I have been wondering for a while now whether I have my hard drives set up in the best configuration possible.

I multitask a lot. I always have a browser open with around 10 tabs, MSN is always running, I listen to music, I have one or more instances of an MMORPG running, I occasionally use Photoshop, and sometimes download in the background.

My drives are [C:] 64GB Crucial C300, [D:] 320GB Samsung HD332HJ, [E:] 750GB Samsung HD753LJ, [G:] 500GB Samsung HD502HJ.

I use C as my boot drive for Win 7 with very little programs installed to it. D to install programs to. E is a storage drive for music and films etc. and where I download to. G is for games only.

I would just like some advice about whether I am using the drives in the best possible way, by keeping everything seperate, or if there is a better way I can configure them.

Thanks

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The only real way for us to advise is if you describe your motherboard make and model and also how you have your HDD/SSD connected to said motherboard. Sata port numbers would be the relevant information here. Otherwise we're just shooting in the dark! ;)

3. Deders

Deders Modder

Usually the larger the disk, the faster it is. Does Photoshop use a scratch file?

4. Devious

Devious What's a Dremel?

Damn, sorry completely forgot about that, lol.

My motherboard is an Asus P7P55D-E.

The drives are set up as [C:] sata 6g 1, [D:] sata 3, [E:] sata 4, [G:] sata 2

5. Devious

Devious What's a Dremel?

Yes Deders, photoshop uses a scratch file on the [D:] as this is the newest drive and also has the most free space. Also although [E:] is 750GB it is also the oldest drive I have. About 2 or 3 years old, I think.