1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anyone folding on Ivybridge yet?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by BeauchN, 3 May 2012.

1. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

As the title asks, is anyone folding on Ivybridge yet, and if so what kind of ppd are you getting? In short, is it really any better than Sandybridge?

Thanks,
    N

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

What do you mean by 'better'? Higher PPD, lower power use, higher PPD/W, quieter, cooler, etc?

3. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Christopher, you have a good point there, I should have explained what I really wanted to know.

I'm interested in what ppd the i7 3770k / i5 3570k will produce at a decent 24/7 overclock - say 4.5GHz - and how this compares to the equivalent Sandybridge chips?

Power draw is important, and I would certainly be interested if they were drawing more than the Sandybridge chips, but the reviews I've read show them to be more efficient under load.

N

4. jondi_hanluc

jondi_hanluc Retired Folder

I've been testing my 3770K @4.6Ghz, RAM@ 21333mhz. With fah 7, the top ppd I've seen so far is 52K for a standard SMP work unit, others were in the high forties but I would consider these to be top scoring work units. SMP ppd varies massively, I know from experience a different work unit can yield less than half that.

As for a comparison against SB, clock for clock it's faster but not by much, a 4.6Ghz IB is supposed to be equivalent to SB @ 4.8Ghz, power draw is lower but again only slightly, TDP on SB is 95w, IB 77w, my rig pulls around 180/190w on that clock.

If you need a new rig I'd recommend it, though you'd need good cooling as they do run hot, but if you're thinking of upgrading from SB I wouldn't bother, you'll hardly notice the difference.

5. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Thanks for the info, just what I was after :thumb:. I was thinking that if they were much better I would pick a 3770k up for my rig and drop my 2600k into my fiancé's computer for a major point boost (though I'm sure my bank would prefer it if I didn't).

I may just pick up an i5 2400 or similar which will be fine for her needs, and give a few thousand extra ppd!