1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Problem upgrading to radeon 7750~ HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chimeradog, 6 May 2012.

1. chimeradog

chimeradog What's a Dremel?

Went to buy this new card with my friend at a pc shop yesterday. So we went on to install this card in his hp pavillion a6665d , we replaced the old card and installed the 7750 but the monitor just showed going to sleep and went black after that.

But when we installed back the old card everything worked just fine. Bios is the latest version to date, I've set the primary video adapter to pcie in the bios but no avail too....tried to connect to the monitor by vga or dvi cable failed too....setting the monitor's default input to dvi or vga failed also. I'm sure that the card are functioning well as we've tested the 7750 on another pc and it is working just fine.

Urgent help is needed here, thanks in advance guys:waah:

2. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

What PSU is supplied in the Pavillion? I'm guessing it's not great, and even though it's frugal, the 7750 will still require a fairly decent 300-400W PSU.

3. chimeradog

we've changed the psu to a silverstone 500W psu in the Pavillion

4. chimeradog

could it be the pcie x16 1.0 slot on the motherboard not able to recognize the card? but as far as i know pcie 3.0 is backwards compatible

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Is the old card nVidia or ATI? Because you need to remove any nVidia drivers before installing an AMD card. Otherwise it could lead to problems.

6. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

At what point does the monitor go to sleep - can you see the BIOS screen, Windows logo during boot etc... then it goes off, or do you not even get those?

7. chimeradog

Taniniver...the monitor goes to sleep the moment i turn on the pc
    Picarro: the old card is a nvidia 9300gs

btw..sorry for the inactivity these days due to exams

8. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Guessing there's not going to be a lot you can do about this, Sometimes things just don't work together, For Example I had a Sapphire HD 5870 2GB that when in a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 motherboard the machine wouldn't post, use another card or use the card in another machine and it works fine.

You've exhausted the common options which would be PSU and BIOS settings which means there isn't really much you can do

I'd try and take the card back, explain the situation and see if you can swap it for something Nvidia or an older ATI generation, consider taking the machine to try and get it to post there, depends how helpful this pc shop is :)

9. chimeradog

thanks for the info....guess is time for an upgrade soon =)

10. echo three

echo three What's a Dremel?

Wondering if a fresh install of your operating system would work at all? Possibly worth a try before taking it back.

11. Madness_3d

If I understand correctly the machine isn't even posting?

12. echo three

Or is it possible that its sill looking for the old card, can't see it, so although it is booting its not displaying anything cause its trying to display through the old card. New card isn't receiving any display input and so just goes into standby?

13. Madness_3d

Thing is before the OS loads the GPU Post screen and the BIOS Post screen would be displayed so you'd always get that even if there was a problem with the OS. Even if the drivers weren't there it should detect the new card as a generic VGA adaptor and then install the default microsoft drivers :)

14. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I've seen a lot of these type of posts in the past month or so. People upgrading from older NVidia cards in older machines to newer AMD Radeon card to find that their machine wont post anymore. I'm not 100% sure but i do remember seeing a post from someone (possibly Goodbytes?) mentioning backwards compatibility with PCI-E 1.1 slots disabled/not present with the newer AMD cards. Obviously, take all that with a heap of salt, its just seems to be a very common topic on these forums...

Edit: Ok, it's not as common as I thought but I did find these two threads with people in the exact same predicament:

Old nVidia card works fine in older machine > upgrade to newer AMD Radeon card > PC wont reach POST any more

Thread 1 and thread 2

Last edited: 10 May 2012
  15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'll call incompatibility on this one as well. The chipset of the Foxconn MCP73M01H1 mobo is nForce 630i which I am unfamiliar with, and the 9300GS was a factory fit by HP.

If the card works fine elsewhere it's likely that the board is just not going to play with it. You could try this BIOS update and clearing the CMOS but I think it's unlikely to help.

:(

16. echo three

Haha, of course, really shouldn't post before midday ;)