1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics System wont load after installing graphics drivers

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by EvoDOOM, 6 May 2012.

1. EvoDOOM

EvoDOOM What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    I just reinstalled windows XP on my pc as my win7 disc has been overused due to changing motherboard etc..

And when I install the amd graphics drivers for my 6950 the installation completes (though says some errors have occurred at the end of installation) and when I reboot the pc it will black screen when windows loads, however, the loading sound will still play so I can assume it has loaded into windows just for some reason the screen is black. I have tried a different graphics card and the same problem occurred.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If Win7 is retail, you can change hardware as much as you want... if it's OEM, call them... I've had this loads of times when I change hardware, and calling has always resolved the issue if you talk to them and explain.

I always buy retail versions now though... less hassle.

3. EvoDOOM

EvoDOOM What's a Dremel?

Yes its OEM just haven't got around to calling to resolve the issue, I tried with my win7 copy as well and after the loading screen the screen fills with multicoloured pixels any ideas?

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

This sounds like a faulty GPU, but you're clearly able to see the display during the Windows installation, so it's more than likely a driver issue.

However.. what motherboard do you have? Does it have built in graphics?

5. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Have you tried going into safe mode and uninstalling all graphic card drivers? This would ensure there are no conflicts with driver files. If you cant get into safe mode then you really do need to check the card out.

Press F8 after the bios splash screen and you should get a list of options and safe mode should be one of them.

Let the system then boot up with default drivers and see what happens. If it doesnt work with bog standard drivers then maybe there is something up with the card?

Do you have any other computer to try the card in or a friends?

I'm with Pookeyhead. I always go with retail as it is much less hassle. Especially with my ever changing system. :)

Got stung once with MS when a motherboard died and they refused to reactivate my XP key. Not much I could do really.

Oh one last way to check if the card is dead would be to burn a linux live CD and see if you can get to the desktop on that. I'd recommend Ubuntu Live CD, but thats just coz I use it myself. Just go with 32bit for simplicity.

6. EvoDOOM

EvoDOOM What's a Dremel?

Yes, after installing graphics drivers I am able to enter safe mode and have removed and retried drivers.

The motherboard is an ASUS maximus IV gene z68.

I can try the GPU in my spare pc to see if the problem is that is the problem later on today.

7. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Once you have removed the drivers in safe mode which version of drivers are you installing?

The latest or older?

One option would be to try the drivers that came with the card.

Also did you try removing the drivers and then let the system boot up without installing any new drivers and going with the reference drivers that come with XP?

8. EvoDOOM

EvoDOOM What's a Dremel?

I tried using the newest drivers and slightly older (haven't tried yet with the drivers that came with the card). And the system will boot up fine without the gpu drivers.

9. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Maybe you could stress test the gpu with folding at home with the XP drivers installed. This might show up any problems.