1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Can Anyone Identify This Watch? (Now Est. Pre 1924) Now The Cool Man's Investigation!

Discussion in 'General' started by KidMod-Southpaw, 6 May 2012.

1. nhojnomis

nhojnomis What's a Dremel?

I love an investigation. Is there any way you can get better pictures of the detail that says Ariston (your second to last picture) I'm sure those details would be the best for the hunt. If your camera is not co-operating just get out a magnifying glass and write down what you think it says. Also an idea of the dimensions would be good.

I agree with Throbbi, in that it is definitely not a pocket watch. If it was , or originally was, the winder would be above the 12, not the 3.

I did have ideas that it did have a military connection because of the red 12, but until we can nail a date down I think that would be presumptuous. In later times the red 12 losses its significance.

Last edited: 7 May 2012
  2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I can tell you what it says, in line order! :D

Ariston W C.C
    Swiss
    1 ADJ
    1 J'L

3. KidMod-Southpaw

This is becoming a really cool investigation! :hip:

4. nhojnomis

Here I was hoping that it would be a serial number and job done.:grr::D

5. KidMod-Southpaw

I just can't believe what a big jump in evidence the name gave us!
    Internet thanks Grandpa! :D

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's a ladies wrist watch (or wristlet), I'd say no older than around 1920's (there is no such thing as a woman's pocket watch). It is not a nurse's watch, as this would have only one bracket for the ribbon that would pin it to the uniform, and would not be so elaborately adorned (and it would have a second hand to enable counting of pulse and breath rate, and the dial would be big and white --nurses' watches were functional watches).

Given the gold-filled finish I would say it was a cheaper piece for people of more modest means. An exact clue to the age would be in the watch glass; plastic was first introduced in 1916 so you would again be looking at something from the 1920's onward.

Last edited: 7 May 2012
  7. KidMod-Southpaw

Damn, conflicting answers, I think. :p
    Will check Reddit now, see if anyone there came back with anything else.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: No Reddit. The lack of any information from either makers online is a big setback, we can put a general era on the watch, but not much else.

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

did reddit give you any good information? I have an old solid (i think) gold (its got loads of hallmarks) pocket watch at home that I would like some more info on.

9. KidMod-Southpaw

Here's the link, decide for yourself. :)
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/ta7yf/can_anyone_identify_this_watch/

Generally helpful at first, some useful advice there for a first timer (me :D) doing such a thing. Posts stopped after updates though. Also, have you any ideas on this watch then? :D
    I'd also like to see a picture or two of that watch, it sounds nice. :)

10. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have no idea about my watch except My great (maybe great again) aunt gave it to my Grandad a long time ago, and he subsequently gave it to me, on maybe my 21st birthday? It has a heap of engraving on it (both for when G.Aunt gave it to my grandad, and when he gave it to me), and then a bunch of hallmarks, and it goes dull pretty quick unless it gets polished. I cant remember any of the dates of it off the top of my head, and it is without (original) chain, but I have worn it on a gold watch chain on the 2 occasions I have worn it with formal dress.

I'm at works at the mo, I will post a couple of pictures when I get home - though I only have cam on phone due to robbing ex pinching my cameras - so the pictures will not blow you away :p

edit: I know nothing about your watch sadly. I know nothing really about any watches except more modern watches, and mainly just the 6 or so I have, I know loads about those :D

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

from what found on google, ariston made watches in the 50's under

FABRIQUE D'HORLOGERIE ED. KUMMER S.A. (Bettlach, Switzerland)

so it could be a 50's era watch.. post in here- these guys would know for sure

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f469/

12. KidMod-Southpaw

Looking at other evidence, I think we may be looking at something earlier. Thanks for the advice though, I might drop a post there later.

13. nhojnomis

I must admit this watch is a little confusing. I'm trying to get my eyes on some Ariston docs which should hopefully clear things up. I'm fairly convinced that the casing and the innards are not the same era.

The "H.F." thing is a little more mud in the investigation. I'm not sure any more that it is Huguenin Freres. It could still could be it, but I'm entertaining the notion that H.F. stands for a jeweller or retail outlet.

and it goes on.................

Shirty likes this.
  14. KidMod-Southpaw

Cheers, that'll be good. :)

Edit: I have a feeling that Ariston make the watch casing. But then if HF is the general retailer, the maker of the movement is unknown as I can't find any other hallmarks.

Last edited: 11 May 2012