1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards All my USB ports just died...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ninjaplease, 26 May 2012.

1. ninjaplease

ninjaplease I don't know what I'm doing

So yeah my rig is as below and a few minutes ago as I turned on my printer my mouse stopped responding and so did everything else, after trying all my other ports I had no luck.

Any ideas what the issue could be? My guess is that my board is telling me it wants to be replaced with it's Z77 brother but that could just be me...

Cheers :thumb:

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Tried the obvious? Reset the bios to defaults? Not sure why that would work but heck, may as well. Still under warranty?

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Check BIOS. USB can be disabled from there if your board is anything like mine.

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Might be possible that the printer surged the USB port, and because most of the time all USB ports are all linked into one fuse; it blew the fuse. Could probably RMA that without an issue if it's new enough. Heck, could still RMA it using the handy Link in Blogins' signature.

5. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

This used to happen with the HP OEM motherboards on the PCs where I worked - clearing the CMOS tended to get them working again, but not always.

6. ninjaplease

ninjaplease I don't know what I'm doing

Thanks for all the advices guys, a simple off-and-on-again worked but this has happened before when I introduced the back of my case to some spontaneous water cooling so I'm guessing it's a hardware issue. The board's old as hell so I'll just replace it when I get some funds together.

7. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

used to work at college where this happened frequently with our machines. unplugging them (power wise) and plugging them back in worked. very annoying when you have 500+ desktops, of which around 100 developed this issue.

Also "USB Device not recognized" message bubble used to pop up frequently on these machines, and yo often had to unplug/replug into other ports things like the keyboard and mouse. Also (just to warn you on the offchance it happens to you) there were a lot of reports of these machines corrupting USB memory sticks, though obviously with students its hard to tell what is them telling porkies or fact, though there was an abnormal amount of complaints from these machines.

best off replacing the mobo when you get a chance IMO, in my experience it just gets worse

8. aka_jesse

aka_jesse What's a Dremel?

This happened to my old rig, never figured it out but just got a USB PCI expansion card to tide me over till I could replace the motherboard!