1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are full screen adverts back on Bit-Tech?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by greypilgers, 4 Jun 2012.

1. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Use Tracking protection not had a single ad since and pages load quicker

Apophis54 likes this.
  2. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

I've made many complaints on the forum and personally to Simon regarding the increasing intrusive adverts on this site and the thoughtless and hamfisted attempts by Dennis to monetise Bit-Tech (the lack of response to everyone complaining about these latest two adverts is not surprising now, really).

I really and honestly could not be in the slightest bit bothered now.

I have for the first time in my life now enabled an ad-blocker and I am blocking everything from Bit-Tech.

I fully understand that as there appears to be an increasing number of people doing this for the site, that eventually the site could potentially be starved of 'revenue' from advertising and so decrease further in quality or quantity of articles, or even close down altogether. Rather than mourn this, or try and please Dennis by accepting their silly advertising methods, I will simply try and use Bit-Tech whilst it is still around, and when it dies, move on to the next site and hope Dennis doesn't get its hands on that as well.

Advertising on websites is fine, as long as it doesnt actually PREVENT the user experience on the site.

:wallbash:

Apophis54 likes this.
  3. haggisathome

haggisathome What's a Dremel?

i have to admit , the IE9 advert is boiling my piss ... adverts like those are just putting me off the products there advertising . how long must we put up with it !

Apophis54 likes this.
  4. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

This IE advert is pissing me off. Fair enough maybe once in a while but every fing page.

Apophis54 likes this.
  5. Toka

Toka Minimodder

****ing **** **** **** **** ****er ie9 advert ****ing **** **** swear much ****er angry ****it.

Really though, it stopped me from logging in to post all of this eloquent discourse. Why does it block mouse clicks?

(Tried to check that the swear monkey caught all that, but the ****ing ie9 advert blocked the click...)

6. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Yeah getting annoyed at the ie9 one stopping me from clicking on links when I load a page...

7. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

I agree. That stupid ad keeps popping up. Whats with all of the ads anyway. I know you have to make money but jeesh.

8. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

It doesn't seem to be... I just downloaded IE9 through the ad just to see if it would p***off and it seems to of. Incidently, It wouldn't install as, apparently, i have a newer verson already :wallbash:

Shirty likes this.
  9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The IE9 ad destroys my Tablet. Can't navigate due to it slowing down until it's done. And It appears...

EVERY PAGE.

Still, guys please get on this. Thanks. :)

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

In another thread I mentioned that the ad bar on the bottom didn't bother me too much because my screen is large enough that the ad doesn't overly detract from my viewing experience.

However, I do object to the IE9 ad. It appears on every single page, and the fact that it disables all clicking until the ad has fully run is very annoying. I was viewing the "favorite watch" thread, and I had to wait before I could click on the first couple of links.

I understand that there is a balance to the web experience while trying to get an ad to do its job, but deliberately disabling my navigation is a terrible idea. Please remove this ad!

Apophis54 likes this.
  11. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

That ie advert is ****ing stupid.

I am at work and it is doing my head in, I click to get rid of t and it comes fullscreen >X(

12. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

make it stop for the love of god

bit-tech please please stop that stupid IE9 advert about pinning to the taskbar.

1) it disables clicks on to other pages for 5 seconds or so !
    2) every other page i visit it appears !!!!!

This is massively annoying especially since i cant click other pages unless i wait or close the advert which makes navigating this forum a pain.

13. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

14. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

AdBlock.

15. megamaxdna

megamaxdna What's a Dremel?

PLEASE STOP IT! :miffed: (yes, I'm screaming)
    Please, stop this annoying IE9 advertisement.

PS: I can't believe it, I just registered on the forum only to post this single message :rolleyes:
    I hate to loose my time to create another user/password that I'll probably never use again......

PPS: bit-tech is a great website... apart this annoying IE9 advertisement, due to which I'm probably going to spend LESS time on your site, and MORE time some other websites (xbit labs, anandtech, tech report, hardware secrets, semiaccurate, hothardware, nordichardware, hardocp, fudzilla, techpowerup....)

PPPS: I WONT stop reading your website, but I follow your articles/news via RSS feed in google reader (no ads here) and now I'll think harder whether to open a link, and come here to see the IE9 ads (and other ads), or totally skip the link.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2012
  16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Yeah I'm blocking that, soz Bit-tech it's a bit much on every page :)

Carrie likes this.
  17. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

you might wanna take that back.

18. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Erm, why? I'm not the only one who's said it (See other threads), and if Dennis decide to moderate it, all well and good, go ahead and moderate it. I didn't use any form of advertising block on BT until the stupidly intrusive adverts started up, but this has gone too far.

So no, I won't be taking it back. Thanks for the offer though.

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I won't be taking it back either folks. Bit-tech is one of the sites that has been on my AdBlock whitelist forever, but I removed it and stopped seeing ads on the site when that stupid IE9 advert started.

1) IE9 is the single worst web browser available to computer users today and there's as much chance of me using it and pinning it to the taskbar as there is of me going to Mars in the morning.
    2) I'm losing my patience with these intrusive adverts guys. I know the site makes money from ad revenue but it needs to be closely monitored and you need to listen to feedback. With the ease of blocking all ads on sites these days, you're going to find that the people who visit the site every day (the regulars, as we're called) will have ABP installed and enabled and you won't be making any ad revenue anyway.

In my honest opinion, if it covers an area of the forum or site that isn't already allocated ad space in the websites design, it's intrusive and it won't be welcomed. Basically all overlay and full screen ads.

20. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Time for a redesign maybe? Where 75% of the screen is given over to permanent ad space and there is a little scrolling window of uninterrupted content?

Flippant of course, but in all seriousness Uni is absolutely right - if the ads just appeared in the predetermined areas there would be no beef from anyone. Even if they were fullscreen rollover ads. It's the ones that shout at us and say "look at me, not Bit-tech" that are damaging, because I fear that many regulars will just decide to look at neither and that would be detrimental to the community here.