1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other OUYA (Open-source Kickstarter console)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dae314, 11 Jul 2012.

1. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Ppl play games on their phones and tablets because they can do it portably. I just don't see the purpose of such an underpowered console-like bargain priced machine except to people on budgets :(

2. Hg

Hg The game known as life

I pledged $99 for this so will get a console from them.
    While i am excited about the gaming potential of this little machine, i am just excited in the media capabilities of the machine.
    Being built on Android i see no reason why the unit can not give Apple TV a run for its money as its the same price RRP$99, but offers more of a complete package, gaming right now but i am sure by launch it will have the ability to stream moves/music from a home pc or from the cloud via google play etc & if this is not made available it will not take long for the community to enable this.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Hackable != hackable. By hackable, i guess they mean exactly what hackable means for Nexus Q. You got the basic device with specific purpuose, but now people already got launchers, USB HID support, apps on it.

On base, it looks like they decided to take a superpowered Xperia play, removed the display and replaced it with the HDMI TV, removed the gamepad thingy in separate wireless gamepad and put the superpowered base in some nice package. I am pretty sure for start they will support all Android apps/games (either through official Play store if they are able to get the licence from Google, or through hacked in Play Store (like older Archos tablets), or through any other store), which means they will have bunch of games/apps at the start.

4. Krazzi

Krazzi What's a Dremel?

It's really shot up. Was at 900k last night, think I'll be buying one too.

5. suragh

suragh Derp

They are going extremely fast, less than 100 of them within 5 minutes is pretty shocking :D (Refreshed page)

6. rollo

rollo Modder

id probably buy one if they entered the uk at the £60-70 mark which is around the dollar conversion. ( chances of that is close to 0 i guess )

Still think 8gb of flash storage will just get filled in no time at all

hd apps are above 1gb range now.

Most mobile apps are popular because they are mobile not sure how successful that will be when you make it so its not portable.

The specs also look low considering most tablets and phones are now above these specs. And certain games that work on iphone 4s and ipad 2 will not load on a lesser powered iphone 4 or ipad for example id guess that is similar to andriod ( or performance is badly distorted)

7. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

FINALLY! I've been hoping for something like this for a long time and now it looks like it could be coming to fruition. I invested, but not enough to pre-order one, even though I'll probably buy one anyway.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2012
  8. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Tegra3 quad-core processor
    1GB RAM
    8GB of internal flash storage
    HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
    WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
    Bluetooth LE 4.0
    USB 2.0 (one)
    Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
    Android 4.0

Have they just copied the google nexus specs? And its notably missing that all important graphics chip.

9. faugusztin

It is in the Tegra3 :duh:. Or do you expect some NVIDIA/ATI card/chip connected to an ARM CPU with no PCI-E interface ?

10. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Nope the Tegra SoC is the graphics grunt too.

Ordered one :)

11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Can it play blu-ray? Why would you have a TV PC without blu-ray?

12. faugusztin

Blue Ray ? That is so 2005 :). But seriously, optical drives are gone from Mac Minis, Macbook Airs, ultrabooks, most media streamers, why would they add it to a internet gaming device ?

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I'm doubtful of the specs as well. When considering the kind of games this thing would be playing I look to my PS3 and shut my wallet.

Granted it's $100 and the games are supposed to be at least mostly free. It seems good for what it is but what it is seems like a solution looking for a problem.

It'd give it some great media potential. Plenty of people don't have Bluray drives to rip their movies and stream them so they still need some sort of player.

And speaking of streaming, gigabit ethernet would be nice. Surely I'm not the only one without 802.11n in the house.

14. longweight

If I am going to have a PC or console under my TV then it needs to play Blu-rays!

15. faugusztin

@Sloth, longweight: Sure. So you have this $99 device. You want them to pay $9.5 for the BR/DVD licence and something like $70 for the slim BR drive itself. Yes, that makes lot of sense.

We can maybe talk about BR for devices in $200+ range, but at $99 price. you can forget any optical drive. Hell, even Apple can't do it with Apple TV for that price.

16. longweight

But what is the point of it? I can't see why people would buy this.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You can't play Blu-ray's on a 360, yet it's still the biggest selling consumer TV-plugin device.

I'm with faugusztin - people still buy discs? (Plus it would cost $$ for the drive and more $$$ for the codec licenses)

18. faugusztin

See ? And i don't see why people buy discs. NAS ? Online streaming ? You even got Netflix in UK, so i seriously don't see the need for discs. Is there even a BR support for Android at all ?

19. longweight

I don't want to watch films at the quality available with current streaming services. I just don't understand who is going to buy this?

20. faugusztin

People who want to play ? I guess that is why it is called game console and not Blue Ray player.

Guest-16 likes this.