1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 27 Jun 2012.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol: How did the SSD review comments turn into GPU's. :D

Prod prod prod. :lol:

No need to answer, it just tickled my brain. :D

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Yeah sorry about that...

3. tohdom

tohdom What's a Dremel?

too bad there are no realworld tests anymore.
    One time there was "windows startup time" and "Crysis 2 level loading time" and it was very helpful to compare SSDs. I am not sure many people care about synthetics

4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Definitely prefer these kinds of tests to the current ones.

Don't know if it was bit tech or not but I once saw a review where the time was measured from pressing power to loading up chrome and seeing a webpage, as with windows, it loads up, but you can't do anything for a while.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I prefer real world tests also, both would be good, digits for set benchmarks & 3 or 4 good examples of real world use. :)

Since switching over to SSD's as soon as it gets to the desktop everything is usable, that's what I love about them, hard drives will still be loading background programs for ages after getting to desktop, no longer have the patience for them but they are essential for storage still for me anyway. :D

I'm considering getting a 256GB ssd for a games drive & only keeping regular played games always on it & the single player ones that only come out now & then install them when I am playing them rather than have them all installed at the same time, makes fresh installs take days to do anyway if having all your games ready to play. :duh::D

6. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

I definitely take SSDs for granted now. Like you say before you'd be hearing clunking going on long after you've decided what you want to open lol.

7. The_Jonas

The_Jonas \m/

Just ordered one of these. Can't wait to see the improvement over my 7.2k RPM drive in my laptop right now. It's going to enjoy the company of my i7-2k and 16GB of RAM :D

8. The_Jonas

The_Jonas \m/

In case anyone would ever like to know, I got my Vertex 4 about three days ago, right before I was about to leave campus, I checked my PO box one more time, and, lo and behold, my SSD had arrived.

It comes with a 3.5 bracket in case you want to put it in a desktop, and I didn't use that as it went into my laptop. I thought the packaging was beautiful, and I haven't had a new piece of hardware in about 2 years, but it was gorgeous. The brushed metal finishing, the matte finish on the other side, it looked perfect.

I had the great idea of keeping my old HDD as a secondary drive for some extra storage space, and thus I did. I thought it would be wise to install my OS on the SSD and then delete the HDD contents later, but after about four hours into this idea I formatted both drives and installed my OS while both were present, otherwise my OS wouldn't recognize my old HDD.

Currently, my laptop is faster than ever and it was definitely worth the upgrade; my SSD is amazing.

PS: it includes an epic sticker that says "My SSD is faster than your HDD" and so I stuck that on my laptop next to the Razer logo and the other stickers ;)

Last edited: 6 Aug 2012
Tags: Add Tags