1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Two Faulty PSU's; GFX Issues

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by DarkIce, 20 Jun 2012.

1. DarkIce

DarkIce What's a Dremel?

EDIT: As the Motherboard appears to have suffered partial damage from the PSU (graphics card doesn't work in top slot; hissing sound with graphics are displayed) but otherwise works, how can I be sure that all the other parts aren't damaged or weekend? How can I get them replaced if this is the case?

Scan don't even believe the PSU surged anything, when the tech said it did.

Hi,

I bought all the parts to build a new PC from the May 2012 PC Buyer's Guide (Gaming Workhorse), including the Antec HCP 750 Watt, the Palit 2GB GTX 670 GFX and the ASUS Maximus V Gene Motherboard. Whenever I played games, ASUS anti-surge would trigger. After checking that everything was in place properly and reading through all the manuals again, a technician looked at my PC and found the PSU to be faulty.

The retailer replaced it, but then after fitting it, my PC would show no video output. I used an old Nvidia 9600 GT, and it worked. The technician came back and said that the PSU hnd damaged the GTX 670; the retailer then refunded me.

I bought the Palit 2GB GTX 670 JETSTREAM this time, and when I fitted it in the top slot (16x), there was no video output. It did, however work in the bottom one (8x), even though in the manual it says it needs 16x.
    When I launched a game and loaded a level, it cut off saying that ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered.
    When the technician disabled the anti-surge, the PSU cut out! I tried an old Corsair VX450W and it worked without cutting off.

The technician thinks it's another faulty PSU, but do you have any idea what the issue is?

I've ordered the Corsair AX750 Watt to see if it will work and asked for a refund for the Antec HCP 750 Watt.

Each time he came, the technician tested the voltage on the PSU and graphics card, which appeared normal. Temperatures and fans speeds were also normal, and appeared normal in AI Suite II and the bios too. Updating the bios had no effect; all Windows and hardware drivers are up to date.

Do you think this issue might happen again, is there any risk to my parts and do you have any idea what the issue is? Also, why won't the graphics card work in the top slot?

If I bought half of the parts from Scan and the other half from Dabs, but the Antec PSU's from Scan damaged the parts, how am I going to get a refund for all of the parts?

Also, if I plan to overclock and SLI later, will I need more than a 750 Watt PSU?

What should I do?

Full PC Specs:

• Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz CPU
    • Asus Maximus V Gene Mobo
    • Corsair Vengence 8GB 1,600MHz CL9 DDR3 RAM
    • Palit GeForce GTX 670 2GB Jetstream
    • Antec High Current Pro HCP-750 PSU
    • Arctic Freezer i30 Cooler
    • Corsair Carbide 500R Case
    • Seagate 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache HHD
    • Crucial 120GB M4 SSD

Thanks.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2012
  2. DarkIce

DarkIce What's a Dremel?

I'm certainly not impressed with Antec to say the least.

Both graphics cards work in the 8x slot, but only the older one works in the 16x. It looks like I'm going to have to start all over again!

3. DarkIce

DarkIce What's a Dremel?

Had a reply from ASUS Support: "It seems to be a VGA card in compbale issue.
    Please check the bios is the latest."

Total rubbish.

EDIT: I emailed Scan and they replied stating that they would look into replacing parts that were damaged by the PSU that I bought from them, but not from Dabs.

They suggested that I contact the manufacturer, Antec, about the other parts. I really hope Antec will replace the parts that their PSU ruined, because it was their fault and it's caused a huge inconvenience.

Dabs said that they wouldn't be able to replace any parts, but I've asked if it might be possible to RMA them if Antec refuse to help.

Unfortunately, the Motherboard was from Dabs.

Last edited: 21 Jun 2012
  4. DarkIce

DarkIce What's a Dremel?

As the Motherboard appears to have suffered partial damage from the PSU (graphics card doesn't work in top slot; hissing sound with graphics are displayed) but otherwise works, how can I be sure that all the other parts aren't damaged or weekend? How can I get them replaced if this is the case?

Scan don't even believe the PSU surged anything, when the tech said it did.

5. munkey

munkey What's a Dremel?

Without having a known good motherboard to test with it's hard to get predictable results. I would focus on getting the MB replaced first then test parts out on the new board.

6. DarkIce

DarkIce What's a Dremel?

Is there a chance that if it's the graphics card that it could damage the new motherboard?

7. munkey

munkey What's a Dremel?

A chance yes, but not a very likely one.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

Is it possible that the Asus antisurge was faulty, and that updating the bios would improve 'compatibility' (read functionality)?

How does the antisurge work? is it in line between the PSU and the rest of yur hardware or on the motherboard itself?

Surely a good PSU would have good Antisurge protection as standard?