1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Buyers Guide May 2012 & CPC issue 095 £410 PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mo_f, 11 Aug 2012.

1. mo_f

mo_f What's a Dremel?

Hi, I'm looking to buy a budget pc and had been looking at the May buyers guide article online. Does anyone know if this is going to be updated? The article seems to suggest it hould be a monthly update, but hasn't been updated since.

I also had an old copy of the magazine from last year when the £410 future proof PC article was written. That was August last year and the magazine mentions it being an annual budget build challenge. Does anyone know if a similar magazine feature is coming up soon? Features like this are great for me as don't really have the knowledge and reasearch time to choose my own spec. I'll hold off buying a new system if something similar is going to be run in the magazine soon.

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Not much has changed really.

Personally I would get a smaller PSU and use the money left over for a 560gtx and if you can spare an extra 10 pounds go for the corsair 300r.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, the hardware market has slowed down a lot, and because modern games are mainly designed for consoles you can get away with much less horse power under the hood. Both myrrant and I are still running 5870's and I can still play most games at nearly max settings...

Also, if you can get an extra £50 a SSD is an amazing addition to any PC.

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

+1

I don't know how I forgot about this.

Keep the 6870 and get an SSD and a 300r

5. Air_Cooling

Air_Cooling What's a Dremel?

6. mo_f

mo_f What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies. Unlikely to be doing much gaming, certainly nothing too advanced anyway so was planning on going without the graphics card. Mainly for audio work and some photo editing.

On the basis that not much has changed recently I started pricing up a core i5 2500k with Gigabyte Z68AP-D3, looks like that is going to be bit too expensive. Bought the magazine today to take a look at the monthly guide in there so might need to opt for the AMD A8 that features in the budget build.

Definitely want a ssd drive though. I have a 1tb hd i can reuse so with the money saved I can get a small ssd to use as system drive.

7. murraynt

murraynt Modder

what's your budget?

We can help spec up a build if you would like?

8. mo_f

mo_f What's a Dremel?

That's very kind of you to offer, I didn't post expecting that, but would appreciate your input if you have time.

Budget: Ideally under £450, but will stretch up a bit if needed to get something that has significant performance benefits. Need the full system except I can reuse a 1TB seagate HD, mouse, monitor, optical drive, audio interface.

Main uses of intended build: general internet stuff, audio work with Cubase/Ableton/Traktor, occasional photo editing.

Parts required: SSD, psu, case, cpu, motherboard, ram, cooling, at least 1 firewire port, windows 7, new keyboard would probably be nice but not essential.

Previous build information (list details of parts): Not much good in current setup, 2gb ram, celeron 2.8ghz

Monitor resolution: Using a 24inch flat screen TV, not sure on the resolution.

Storage requirements: Just need a system drive, SSD would be very preferable and no need for more than 120gb, could probably go lower. Currently at 76gb in my current setup.

will you be overclocking: maybe, not overly bothered as haven't done it before. Would give it a go if needed a boost and it was a easy overclock for a newbie:D

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Not sure, have a PCI wifi card and need a firewire port

Extra information about desired system:

9. Air_Cooling

Air_Cooling What's a Dremel?

SSD Samsung 128GB on Dabs for £77 delivered.