1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JPClyde, 10 Apr 2012.

1. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

it only makes a difference for pvp stuff right? i havnt done any pvp at all. me and my "team" are really more into the pve...

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

We're PvE only, but each server has its own feel and priorities. People were simply nicer on Ehmry, but we're looking for an adult (as in mindset, not in vulgarity) guild that won't pitch a bitch when we have to hook our little boy up to his food pump at night.

3. Wicked_Sludge

gotcha. i dont remember the server we were on for the first two BWEs but i didnt notice much of a difference between it and fort aspenwood. overall most players seemed fairly mature and laid back to me, much like the first game which is something ive always enjoyed about GW.

since everything is getting wiped for launch, i dont imagine our previous experience with a given server will matter much since i imagine most people will try new servers.

4. donmy521

donmy521 What's a Dremel?

[Guild Wars 2]Sigils with Kits.

Q:Just a quick question, one that I couldn't find an answer to. Does anyone know if the Sigils on our weapons provide their bonuses while using a kit? For example, if I'm using a pistol and shield with a Sigil on each and I switch to the flamethrower, am I still receiving the bonuses from my Sigils?

Here is the build I've been toying around with for launch, PvE focused with plans on support with some damage by using the Elixir Gun and Flamethrower. The Sigils and Runes I have listed are subject to change as I'm still tweaking and there's no telling what might be altered before and after launch.

A1:They will by launch, can't find the link but it's fairly common knowledge maybe someone else has the link saved.

A2:A dev posted it on the official forums, saying that once they make sigils apply to kits before launch they will rebalance the engineer.[gw2 gold] I made a thread about it.

A3:They are going to rebalance a class without a public test before launch? That doesn't sound right.

A4:How does it not sound right? They will continue to balance it throughout after release with no public test. Its pretty much the norm with MMO's.

5. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I was Jade Sea as it was my favourite zone in Guild Wars but then Anet went and made it French in BWE2. This led to some hilarious conversations in general chat that w/e and the subsequent stress test. Currently my little guild/group of like minded idiots was rolling around on Fissure of Woe. If anyone is looking for a group of "mature" blokes working the 9-5 I know the guild for you.

6. andyj87

andyj87 What's a Dremel?

Im really interested in this game but unfortunately my PC wasnt ready during the beta. Does anybody know if there are any "trial" or demo versions that will be available to download after release?

7. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Unlikely. There won't be a trial for atleast 3-6months like other MMO's do.

8. andyj87

andyj87 What's a Dremel?

Thats a shame, Ill probably just bite the bullet and go for it a couple of weeks after release once most of the bugs are gone.

9. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I heard people talking about another stress test, is that this weekend or some other time?

10. Wicked_Sludge

there was a stress test on thursday and friday (the 9th and 10th). havnt heard of anything after that.

EDIT: i just received word that yes, there is a 1 hour stress test tomorrow from 11am-12pm PST.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2012
  11. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Been watching videos as I am looking forward to a decent MMO after WoW ruined me (nothing can really come close)...

Not going to buy it immediately as I have particpated in too many MMO launches to fall for that trick again, setting yourself up for a massive cluster f*ck disappointment.

PvP. Where is the burst? All I have witnessed are fights that last for minutes. Burst sucks if you are on the recieving end but you are normally blessed with some tools to mitigate it. All I see are duels which seem to go on forever. where is the excitement in that?

Don't get me wrong, I have never played the game and am not critising it but PvP is a massive incentive for me to play. It looks nice and seems challenging to the extent that there are new abilities to learn and counter but 10 minute fights where yourself and your opponent seem to take hardly any damage from an onslaught of pretty mean looking animations is a little underwhelming.

Also, most armor looks bad. I'd want my characters to look good. I thought that was pretty basic stuff.

Having said all this, I am a little more hyped then I have been about this; I'll just wait for the dust to settle before I dip my toe.

12. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

There is 'burst' sometimes. It depends who is fighting who. There are occasions when someone will kill someone in about 5 seconds.

13. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

It's weird, this is exactly why I'm looking forward to the PvP. Burst DPS is the number thing which ruins PvP in every game I've ever played. Burst requires absolutely no skill whatsoever, just hit the button and boom, there's a kill.

Having things longer really makes you have to know your class and have some ability at playing it, this has been the beauty of Guild Wars all along. In other MMO's you absolutely must have high end gear, be that loot, crafted or bartered, but you have to have it otherwise you stand absolutely no chance in anything, even the most basic PvE. In Guild Wars a truly great player can conceivably defeat stuff(PvE, PvP, whatever) with nothing even equipped. Obviously good gear will grant big bonuses and things will be a lot easier with it than without it but it is doable.

It's similar to why I loved LotRO so much before the first expansion (Mines of Moria). The end game gear (The Rift and Helegrod) was easily the best but that end game content was doable with crafted gear (not even top level crafted) which was available to everyone and there was a great range of weapons available from crafted through to great stuff from all of the instances and raids, not just the top one. Nothing was gear gated and because of that your skill at playing your class also made a big difference, really good players stood out (I know, I was one of them for a short time despite only being able to raid once a week, twice if I was lucky) and made a very clear difference to your group.

I'm hoping to regain some of this with Guild Wars 2. I've been missing actual playing skill in an MMO for a long time (literally everything since pre-expansion LotRO in 2008 has been down to who can farm for the longest times) and this is the ticket.

14. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I hear you, but classes with burst have that as their only tool and once they use their combo, have nothing. Most (every) class have defensive capabilites of sorts to mitigate that. I know this hasn't been balanced well in quite a few games recently but it does work to liven things up if you look at the big picture.

I agree with what you say though, and I really do hope it works.

I've read conflicting things about GW2 PvP. Some say that ArenaNet are concentrating more on PvE and don't really care about PvP whilst others say that ArenaNet want to attempt to make it into an e-sport.

Just have to wait and see I guess.

15. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Arena Net want both to be fun, they aren't putting one above the other. They would like PvP to become an esport but aren't going to chase after it, since they'd be wasting resources on it.

As for your comment on armour earlier, there's better looking armour, you just have to unlock it. The basic armour ofcourse looks lame. They want the better players to look cosmetically better than someone who just plays ever now and again. Since it's not a gear based game they have to do it differently than say WoW does. People still want armour upgrades and cool looking armour, you just have to work for them.

Here's some medium armour I unlocked on my Ranger from PvP. http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/3343/gw022z.jpg

You still don't need to worry much about burst builds, the majority are easy to counter once you get used to what you need to look out for. An example is the Warriors Hundred Blades combo, which involves a knockdown charge which you need to dodge, a average Warrior will do it as soon as they get in range which makes it easy to counter since they'll also waste their Frenzy buff (Makes you attack twice as fast aswell as take 50% more damage). A good Warrior that runs the same build will try to bait your dodges first though but most good Warriors I've seen have ditched the Greatsword for Hammer as it offers alot more to your team.

The burst class to look out for is Elementalist in my opinion, they can do some extreme damage and can get away from you easily too.

16. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Pre-purchased and installed. Ready to rock Saturday.. I've had running commentary from a friend since the beta started and having played MMO's since Everquest, I'm glad to say I'm excited for once. Looking forward to the pvp and a different approach to the norm..

17. carebear

carebear What's a Dremel?

This would depends on quite a few things. Most generally if you took a character who was full damage build against another character who had 0 toughness and 0 vitality then yeah you're going to drop pretty quick.

Now that people are learning more about builds and learning how classes work, I'd say that burst will become non-existent in sPvP tournaments.

Once you know what ability looks like what, you'll be dodging out the way or mitigating it with a defensive ability.

18. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

8AM UK time can't come fast enough.
    The only problem being, that they have said they may turn everything on 3 hours early.....

I'll be getting up at 5 to do my best to snag my names :)

19. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

5am is not a possibility for me unfortunately, delightful house mates mean that any attempt at an early night is quashed.

Any idea what servers everyone will be playing on? I know for one I will be trying to avoid Fissure of Woe after the last beta event.

20. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I'll be up and waiting.. only problem is I got a family event to go to the whole afternoon/evening so I'll have to have a break.. :(