1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Powerful, quiet and stylish build advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by remus, 17 Aug 2012.

1. asura

asura jack of all trades

It's cool, we all get muff days, just thought I'd rub it in a bit :p

Yea the first link gave me an unspecified server error (still does) and directs me to their homepage. I just figured if the OP was having the same problem, then the easiest (laziest) thing for me to do was link him to the buyers-guide.

Equally, is there any need for a full ATX case, some very attractive mATX cases out there. And do you need more than 2 PCI-Ex16 and one other (varies from board to board) if the answer's no then smaller may be better?

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

A little impersonal though... :p

3. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

That went in, as I was doing mine, but yes "splash out" on an ROG. Thing is, OP would be a bit pushed, on his budget, if he wants a REALLY good monitor, as well.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Not really. The build I did had £50 spare, enough for a move from the board I suggested to a M5G...

5. remus

remus Vanity mate.

I had a rog mobo in my last pc, running a q6600 and a 8800 gtx.

So it'd be nice to have one in this PC too, I know it might not make sense but I do want a full atx board since the PC will be on show and I want it to be as much a part of the room as a focal point of interest as a functional piece.

I live in Dubai now so ill be claiming the VAT back anyway, this means I can move the budget up a little since I set it at £2k so I didnt get carried away with 8 core, 32gb nastyness that I dont need :worried:

Last edited: 19 Aug 2012
  6. remus

remus Vanity mate.

Could you link me to a couple of these matx cases, from what I remember they always had issues... however that is based on cases released over 4 years ago when I stopped having such an active interest in PC related wares.

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

TBH the case I linked it beautiful. Its smaller but perfectly formed, cools very very well. :)

8. remus

remus Vanity mate.

Yeah it's a nice case but I kinda wanted something thats not black or at least a little abstract but sleek like the H frame?

Which full atx mobo do you think I should go for?

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

H frame?

10. remus

remus Vanity mate.

YEHBABY likes this.
  11. Booti

Booti Minimodder

as you have said you are going to be using it in a business environment as well, going off that list, if it was for me i would ditch the SSD drive and getting a second HDD (put them in RAID 1 so you have some redundancy, although you will need to backup your data as well).
    also i would upgrade the CPU to a 3770k if you are doing a lot of CAD work and photo editing. I think you'll get more benefit from that that 16Gb of RAM.

12. asura

asura jack of all trades

I think you underestimate the amount of memory that can be needed in a design workspace, 8GB is nothing.

Using me as an example it works out like this; OS 1-2GB, SketchUp is generally 1-3GB, Photoshop I have set to automatically reserve 3.5GB and can expand it if necessary, and Vectorworks will gladly eat 8GB all on it's own but 2GB is a minimum, chrome's not so efficient and I often get high memory warnings from it .5-1GB. Total it up and we get 8-17.5GB!

What that means is that I can't have everything I want open at once (I have a humble 8GB) and when I get round to upgrading it'll be to 32GB, or even 64GB. But that'll need a new motherboard and CPU...

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This is why I have 16GB...

14. Booti

Booti Minimodder

fair point asura

15. remus

remus Vanity mate.

Looks like i've found the case for a M5G build Silverstone TJ08-E

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2011/09/07/silverstone-tj08-e-review/1

I think the chances of me getting the In Win H frame are slim, so ill take the advice given and ill buy the parts when I go back to the UK in October, if anyone else has any input though ill continue to check this thread.

Thanks everyone :thumb:

16. asura

asura jack of all trades

There is the possibility of a second hand Quadro 2000 falling within your budget too, it's a bit more than a 680, but you could probably squeze it in there - but to know if it's worth while you need to know what software you'll be using - Fire Pro would be an option too but the same thing apply software first, card second...

17. remus

remus Vanity mate.

No I don't need a Quadro, it's basic stuff that we'll be doing on this system we are not architects ;) he pays someone else to do the complicated work, this is just for when things get tight and I can pitch in.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

To me it sounds like you just want a high end standard pc if thats the case the link that true gamer posted way back when is more than good enough for the task at hand.

SSD + HD is a must dont scrimp on it makes system feel so much sharper.

the only thing i might change in true gamers build is ssd size and ram amount.

16gb is bear minimum for running most high end editing programs and more is always helpful

not sure if its in budget but drop the ssd to 128gb and try upgrading to 32gb of ram would be my recommendation.

thats all id even consider changing and true gamers build is pretty much spot on.