1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Monitors...

Discussion in 'General' started by Kylevdm, 30 Aug 2012.

1. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

So I have seen a few people on here with some studio monitors so I want to know what your recommendations?

I have about £300 to spend (not a huge amount but what are you going to do?). I have been looking at the KRK RP5s and RP6s, I have seen them about a fair bit. But do you guys have any other suggestions?

I do not make music merely listen to it, mostly alternative rock and electronic.

If you need any more information let me know.

2. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

You have just stumbled on a minefield... ....I make speakers and amplifiers or anything audio electronic related for a living...

I'll make you some?

What do you want? Loud? Bass? Room size? Amplifiers?

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I've seen pictures of Boscoe's speakers, they look amazing and are so well built!
    Hope you like oak speakers Kyle! :thumb:

4. Kylevdm

Can you PM me your email address? Sounds like a possibility...

5. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

My old housemate used to have a pair of Rokit 5 iirc which sounded pretty decent, but I think he went for them more for production primarily and entertainment secondarily.

Tbh it doesn't really sound like studio monitors are actually what you really want, (no offence meant) but I think what you're after more is just something pretty decent that doesn't colour the output too much. I imagine you're not really set up with the kind of environment that you'd need to really get anything anywhere nearing peak performance out of even a janky set of monitors. (I will of course eat my hat/stock of T-Shirts if I'm wrong)

I'd be more inclined to recommend you look at getting a half decent Amp and try different speakers, to be honest anything you buy will sound better if you want it to.

Oh and for the love of god don't get sucked into that BS world of buying silly expensive cables. I don't care if it has over 9000 less weasels or it's been double pre-blessed or whatever. If it has metal inside and some form of insulator outside, it'll work. Hell; coat hangers wrapped in gaffer tape works.

Also you might find more to your liking getting a decent set of Sennies, Grados or some other decent cans, half decent DAC and headphone amp..

It's your money at the end of the day, just wouldn't like to recommend to anyone that they should spend squillions for the sake of e-peen..

Kylevdm likes this.
  6. Kylevdm

First of all cheers dude! Second of all, I am not one to worry about cabling... Or fuses or plugs for that matter...

I was just looking at them as they were suggested to me, but I am clueless. Do you have any suggestions? I already have a DAC, so would only need the amp and speakers.

7. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I would start off cheap and work up as time goes on..

If there's a superfi or richer sounds etc near you in Glasgow or similar sort of shop in BE then go down and ask to try out various amps and speaker in the audition room, all you're really looking for at the moment is a half decent 2 channel amp and a pair of bookshelf speakers.

I wouldn't think active studio monitors are anywhere near what you'd want..

I've been quite impressed with Denon, Sony, and Yamaha amps previously and very much so for Kef Egg speakers.. Kef in general actually! (and they're British :D)