1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Power surging PSU, HDD not working and USB sockets that just break...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by SamL, 2 Sep 2012.

1. SamL

SamL What's a Dremel?

UCACO-FI30001-GB i30 cooler
    Sstone Blk TJ08B-E Temjin USB3
    2GB EVGA GTX 670 Cheesecake
    Intel Core i7 3770K s1155
    Asus Maximus V GENE Z77 MoBo
    CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 2x8GB VENG
    256GB SSung 830 SSD Basic Kit
    750W ANTEC HIGH CURRENT PRO
    2TB SEAGATE ST2000DM001 SATA3
    IHAS124-19 24x SATA Black OEM​

Basically I ordered the above components for my system from Scan about two weeks ago.
    I built the system with the help of my dad at home ready for uni. The system worked virtually flawlessly (the USB's on my motherboard have been a nightmare... I sometimes have to re-plug my devices) and I cannot see my 2nd Hard Drive (2TB) which I NEED for uni.
    Anyway, I'm now moved into uni and my PC seems to be running fine (old problems still existing) however I've also inherited some new problems. My PSU is now surging, this only seems to occur when I'm playing an online game, all power is cut out and the PC restarts itself, saying that my PSU is unstable and there was a surge. Clearly this is not what I want. My USB sockets are becoming more and more unreliable and my webcam now won't work... no idea if that is related or not but it was working an hour ago now it's not. My secondary hard drive is still not working and I'm left with a virtually useless PC.

I've made sure that all connections are connected properly etc so I don't know what else to do

If anyone has ANY idea what the hell I can do then it'd be much appreciated, I need my PC for uni in two weeks time and if I don't get it sorted I'll be in the - you know what -

Thanks

Edit: I have Scansure protection but I'm not sure what to do, I don't want to make any rash decisions

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Personally I think those are a lot of issues to have on a new build. The faster you get it sorted, the better off you'll be. Send the lot back and get them to find the fault. I reckon the motherboard is at fault or it could be the psu as you say. Shame you dont have a spare psu to test the power outage problem.

3. SamL

SamL What's a Dremel?

Yeah me too, I'm going to give scan a ring tomorrow, only trouble is that all the boxes for the components are back at home and shipping them uni will be a nightmare. Also, I don't really want to have to dismantle everything after taking ages to build it all (was my first build) or will Scan just take it as a whole system and test it for me? This thread may be worth moving over to the Scan section? I don't know...

4. Booti

Booti Minimodder

If the new issues have only started since you moved to a new property, maybe try a surge protector on the mains to see if that cures the new issue.
    Have you tried your hard drive on another SATA port ?
    I have had issues with things not working reliable on USB3 ports, but are fine on USB2 ports. Try the ports on the back.

If you bought your system as components, Scan will only take it back that way. Remember you have 28 days from purchase with Scansure, so don't leve it too long.

5. SamL

SamL What's a Dremel?

I'm using the same surge protector extension socket that I used at home and it was fine there.
    I've tried my HDD in other SATA ports and it hasn't worked.
    Unfortunately I only have 3 USB 2.0 ports and 5 devices to connect

That's highly annoying, but I can see why, in a way... I'll see what they say about that on the phone tomorrow, hopefully this will get sorted before my course starts

6. Booti

Booti Minimodder

If you have tried the hard drive multiple ports and it still doesn't work, sounds like the drive is dead, unless it's a power issue. Can you feel the drive spinning up?
    Try moving the USB devices around. As I say I have found some USB2 stuff doesn't like to be in a USB3 port for some reason (and you have 4 ports on the back)
    If the power is not surging from the mains, use something like Hardware Monitor to check your voltages, see if they are all nominal.
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

7. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Most likely is a duff PSU, but my worry is a fault with the PSU has damaged the mobo.

Your USB & SATA ports are not working as they should. So either you've done something wrong (Not installed the mobo drivers? never updated windows?) or there's been an issue from day one and it really should have been sorted earlier.

Looks to me like you're needing to...

A) Take the PC apart no matter what you do.

B) Try and find someone at uni (near uni?) who can lend you a PSU for testing.

C) Talk to scan about returning the PSU (if you identify it as faulty)

D) Stop using the PC ASAP as I doubt you want to risk any components if it is a faulty PSU.

8. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Sam, just remember that Scansure only covers you for the first 28 days for accidental damage you have caused (see below) ;)

9. SamL

SamL What's a Dremel?

The HDD is spinning up when I run something that is, for instance, testing the capabilities of my hardware to get a score (The build in Windows thing) but I cannot see it in Windows despite being able to see it in the BIOS.

When the PC surges and switches off it seems to mess with the USB's sometimes and I have to re-shuffle and reconnect some devices in order to get them to work.

As for that program, here is a screeny of the voltages, I have no idea what they are meant to be running at.

[​IMG]

However, my friend has said that on the product page on Scan's website the Rails are shown as 40A yet there is only a 10A fuse in the plug... is this normal? I'm pretty clueless about this whole thing.
    Product page: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w...old-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-v23-p

Mobo drivers have been installed as per the disk that came with it and windows has been fully updated.
    As I've just moved in I don't know of anyone to lend a PSU from unfortunately
    I'm going to give Scan a call in a moment

Time to get the hammer out?
    No really though, will I have to return things to each manufacturer if it's really bust or will Scan do that for me? (I'll probably get this answered in my phone call)

Thanks for the reply guys, I'll see what Scan have to say about things

10. SamL

SamL What's a Dremel?

Ok after speaking to a very helpful chap at Scan my HDD is now showing in Windows (it seems that I'm just a n00b) and he's suggested to update the BIOS to the newest version. Unfortunately I don't have access to a USB drive until tomorrow at the earliest so I'll see how that goes.

In the mean time, can someone just clarify that this:

Is / isn't an issue?

Thanks!

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

The most a plug ever has in it is a 13A fuse. So no, that is not a problem.

12. SamL

SamL What's a Dremel?

Ok thanks for clearing that one up

13. Deders

Deders Modder

the 13A is for 240v, 12v is a lot less. I've measured the amperage of my computer stressed along with my monitor and all 4 amps I use playing music (elaborate but cost efficient surround setup) and it doesn't even reach 2A @240v.

A kettle on the other hand will use over 10A at 240v

14. SamL

SamL What's a Dremel?

I see, so are the voltages in that screenshot all well and good?

15. Deders

Deders Modder

They look to be but Hardware monitor is only as accurate as the sensors that it's reading from.

It notoriously reports the 12v rail wrong, one person thought they needed a small nuclear power plant to run their computer when their reading was way over 9000. Mine seems to report that I have less than a volt going through the 12v rails.

16. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Watts = Amps x Volts

2400 = 10 x 240 ( mains voltage )
    480 = 12 x 40 ( system voltage )

Suggesting a 5A fuse would be more use, IMHO. But lots of fans, GPU's and HDD's will add to the load.

HTH

dunx