Modding In search of modular PSU connectors...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Twizted, 1 Sep 2012.

1. Twizted

Twizted What's a Dremel?

Would anyone have any good leads to get modular PSU connectors?

To give a little more detail... I'm going to be redoing all my PSU wiring from scratch including the connectors (so I can leave the original cables in tact)... The PSU I have appears to use the same Molex Minifit Jr 5557 connector style as the main ATX and EPS but its a single inl-ine 5 conductor for IDE/SATA/Peripheral cables . I've attached a pic of the power supply connectors...

The Molex part number I found that matches is 5557-05R2-210-BL ( the BL is for black)... The problem I'm running into is I can only seem to locate them in Natural (white = 5557-05R2-210) color and I need black.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

If you don't mind paying rip-off prices for both part and postage then there's these. Alternatively ask the manufacturer how much a spare cable set/connectors would cost or if it's a Seasonic then try Antron Electronics.

3. Twizted

Twizted What's a Dremel?

Ouch.... After shipping those were over $20 USD for 5 connectors... I've shot an email out to OCZ (the PSU is an OCZ ZT Series 650W Fully-Modular) so I'll see what happens there but I'm not to hopeful there...

If it comes to it I will just fabric dye the white plastic to black... but I would rather just get black connectors to begin with.

4. dbradford32

dbradford32 What's a Dremel?

Hey Vernon, when dying them to black, you have to boil the plastic, right?

5. mindfulone

mindfulone What's a Dremel?

Not boil, no, no where near any temperature that will cause any harm to the plastic. Just use I-Dye poly, leave 'em in until they are the black you want...

6. Twizted

Twizted What's a Dremel?

When I have done this in the past I used a temp probe and kept the fluid at around 190~195 Fahrenheit... I'm mainly only used this for dying PCB material but I've done some plastics...

Its looking like this is going to be what I end up having to do...

7. dbradford32

dbradford32 What's a Dremel?

8. Twizted

Twizted What's a Dremel?