1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding I Modded a Premod... and lived to talk about it

Discussion in 'Modding' started by nmmnp, 12 May 2003.

1. nmmnp

nmmnp What's a Dremel?

I've always done my own mods in the past. Nothing against premods, but I enjoy doing the work myself. My cousin asked me to build him a box and when he and his 12 year old son son saw my mods, they decided they had to have some too (they had never seen a modded box). I didn't want to spend the extra time and he didn't want to spend too much extra money, so this was my solution.

They're big University of Michigan fans, school colors are maize and blue. Here's a box I found ($45 shipped w/power supply) that gave me a big head start.
    [​IMG]

Here's what it turned out like. The mods are basic. Painted the frame, painted the drives, added the lights and switches, 7volt mod on the fans, painted the rounded and ribbon cables, swapped the side intake fans for clear ones and removed the stamped side grills.

Here's the insides (and yes, that is a 60mm exhaust)
    [​IMG]

With both yellow and black lights on
    [​IMG]

Black light only
    [​IMG]

Here's the finished product. The plastic is still on the side window and bezel and I need to get a yellow sharpie for the volume control on the burner.
    [​IMG]

I think it looks pretty good... How about you?

2. linear

linear Minimodder

Modding a premod is cool. Modding anything is cool. And damn nice job, I dig the painted grilles.

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

well.. let's say that that reminds me of our neightbour country.. sveden! hehe :p

it looks good though! :thumb: :dremel:

4. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Sweet dude i like it its clean and simple nice floppy thing

one criterzism is that ickle 50mm fan it looks so sad :( need to replace some how :D then.

But damn cool :thumb:

5. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I had to check you location to see if it said "Sweden", but it actually didn't :eeek:

6. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

Looks great. Only thing I can think of is the volume control on the front of the CD drive...needs color as well.

7. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

i built my ex-roomates p4 in one of those boxes ... the airflow in em is set up all sdrawkcab ... those fans on the side ship as exhaust ... and the spot for a fan up front sucks ...figuratively, not literally ...

what im curious about is how do your hands look after building it? i nearly bled to death, and really truely appreciated how well built my lian li is .

8. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

looking sweet :D

maybe you could dismantle the front to paint the silver in yellow too :lol:

9. nmmnp

nmmnp What's a Dremel?

Thanks All...:D

TK... the edges on this one were all rolled, no cuts this time around :dremel: and you're right, the airflow is screwy. There's 4-80mm mounts in the front (that alone is nuts)and of course no bezel openings to let air in. What's even worse is the 60mm exhaust opening. But it was running pretty cool in my basement, MBM reports 26/32 at idle and 26/41 under load. There's that 60mm exhuast at work and the side fans must be blowing on the case sensor... But since it's not mine I'm not sweating over the small stuff.

10. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

great paint job :thumb:

11. jake^the^cake

jake^the^cake What's a Dremel?

omg, nice colours :D
    /me huggles sweden

12. Asmodeous

Asmodeous What's a Dremel?

Looks sweet and it goes to show that it doesnt matter if it is a premod or a total mod, I personally have one of each. I wanted to spoil myself with the premod thinking I could get away with doing nothing...that didnt last long :sigh: I took it to the shop 2 weeks after I got it and modded the hell out of it BWAHAHAHAHA!!!...err..sorry :D I'll show pics soon (no camera of my own :waah: )

13. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

that looks really cool

14. Spoonman

Spoonman What's a Dremel?

Looks great... but what is a U of M case without the M somewhere? Maybe a window etch?

Excellent job.

15. nmmnp

nmmnp What's a Dremel?

Hey Spoon, thanks... actually I did print out a block M case badge for it, but it was after I had taken the pics...

16. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

Maybe stencil out an M on the mobo side of the case?

17. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

yay actually living in ann Arbor (home to University of Michigan) i think i'm a lil biased by that box rox.. too bad mine has the canadian motif going...