Small Form Factor Mitx / Home Server Build Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Serenity, 8 Oct 2012.

1. Serenity

Serenity What's a Dremel?

Hi Everyone,

I have been working through the forums hoping that the vast information might help me formulate a decision but I still find myself left with questions.

I am wanting to build a server in order to store all my music, pictures and videos.

I will then want to be able to access these files from up to 4 pcs/laptops and an xbox etc.

My Questions:
    1. What operating system do I choose. Windows 8 or WHS 2011.

All my pcs/laptops will be running Windows 8 so is there an issue that WHS2011 wont be able to backup them anyways
    I was wanting to use the 3TB WD Red drives for the data but am a little confused as to whether WHS2011 will support this.

Build Advice:

I am wanting to build a small, quiet, low powered server so I have already purchased the Lian Li PC-Q18 , which I must say is a great little case.

This leaves me only being able to use an Mitx motherboard. As I would always like to use the latest products if available I am now looking at either the H77 or Z77 boards for the Ivy bridge processors. As this will be low powered technically I have no need for Z77 boards as I wont be overclocking but the Z77 boards do seem to have better reviews and better power consumption. Any recommendations? I was thinking either the Asus P8H77 or Asus P8Z77 I have linked some reviews.

I seem to be spoilt for choice for new Ivy bridge processors so am not sure if I should go for i3or i5 and if opting for a T version would help. Your recommendations would be appreciated.

I do have other questions but at the moment the above seem to be my main decisions/issues.

Thank you in advance.

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Personally I would save a bunch of money and go with an h67 board and a Celeron or Pentium cpu. I use Zotac H67 and Pentium G620 for my server in a Lian Li PCQ08 and it is plenty of performance, reliable, cool running, uses very little power and didn't cost me very much.

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

[​IMG]

Thats my home server.

Currently it has 1 x 2tb, 1 x 1.5tb, 1 x 1tb and 1 x 500gb drives in it, running whs2011. I did have it running windows 7, but ultimately I ended up moving to whs2011 and have preferred it greatly since I did.

Very quiet, doesnt use much power, is i3 550 4gb ram, on a giga board.

4. Serenity

Serenity What's a Dremel?

Thanks both.

Margo what motherboard do you use with your i3.

Also do you do much transcoding and how does the i3 manage if you do?

What CPU cooler do you use?