1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Replace CPU fan with quieter one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brooksie, 17 Oct 2012.

1. Brooksie

Brooksie What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I have a cooler master hyper 212 cpu cooler. It came with it's own fan, but it is making a hell of a lot of noise. This is the one:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cool...-with-120mm-quiet-fan-lga775-1155-1156-1366-a

It evens calls itself a quiet fan, but it is not at all.

If I stop the fan rotating pc is nearly silent. I want to replace this fan with a quieter one. Can I just use a standard 120mm case fan? The fan dimensions are 120X120X25.

Thanks in advance,

Tom.

2. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

looks like a standard 120mm fan to me, so swapping shouldn't be an issue.

the 31 dB listed for the fan doesn't seem to make it the noisiest fan out there, however there are several which get equal airflow for less noise. though you may have a defective fan and therefore its noisier

worth checking fist though, does the MB have any fan control - ie is it running full speed constantly, if it it changing fan control parameters might get it quieter without shelling out for new fans.

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Quietest fan you'll get is a Gentle Typhoon - I use two 1850rpm ones on my CPU cooler and I have them hooked up to a fan controller. At 1100rpm they are inaudible.

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Brooksie, is the fan running at full speed all the time? If it is, have a look in the BIOS as there should be a way to get the motherboard to regulate the speed depending on load.

Edit: Nevermind, missed the end of PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn's post.

5. Brooksie

Brooksie What's a Dremel?

The fan was set to max (about 2k rpm) all the time. I set the fan temp to 70 degrees in the bios and minimum fan speed at 0%. It is now completely silent!

There is no way the fan is as low as 31db, I can hear it from across the room. I think I'll try the gentle typhoon fan.

Thanks for your help gents.

6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I have used the 212+ and the 212 Evo in previous builds and they have been near enough silent.

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

No fan at 2k rpm is going to be "silent" sadly.