1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Building the building

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Soren, 23 Feb 2010.

1. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

The corsair obsidian 800d is officially my favourite case in the whole world.

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

You have enough Corsair stuff, why not continue it! Get some XMS3 or if you have the money to spare some C7 Dominators?

What do you think of the case itself?

3. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

Will probably continue the Corsair route with sticks, Dominator GT's C7 sure do sound good, although a bit pricey. Will probably cary on then with a Corsair SSD...

The case is marvelous! The build and quality of material is outstanding, I could recommend it to anybody.

4. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

Been a while, have to report back...

Changed the memory (OCZ was getting troublesome) to guess which brand! :) Yep, Corsair's Dominator's found their place in the case, 8 GB (2x4GB sticks @ 1.600 Mhz) with CL9 to be exact:

[​IMG]

Working flawlessly! :rock:

5. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

Next stop was of course the bottleneck of this system - yes, you've guessed it - SSD. First I went with Corsair's Force series (but of course), but sadly RMA's the damned thing 3 times and finaly threw it away. For sure, never again going down Corsair's road in the SSD department. Replaced it with this baby:

[​IMG]

Aha, it's Intel Series 330 SSD and it works magic! :clap:

6. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

It was time to replace my 6 years old LG. First I've decided to go a bit bigger and went with Dell U2713HM, which boasted lovely 2560x1440 resolution with great build and image quality. I've just couldn't get used to 16:9 screen and because Dell's 30" (16:10) is a tad out of my league went instead with smaller U2412HM which sparks (only) 1080p, but has more vertical room to work with which was more important to me than the width:

[​IMG]

Recommend it! :thumb:

7. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

Last but not least, something to put the machine into it's right perspective:

[​IMG]

Best game ever (IMHO)! :D

8. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

Now thinking of adding another 5850 to CF it! What do you think? Suggestions for futher improvements? :naughty:

9. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

Let's take a look what the cat dragged in:

[​IMG]

Any idea which component got replaced first? :D

...after commercials! :hehe:

10. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

It just had to be the GPU - Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 OC:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3DMark11 gave it X2150 points!

11. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

Would the U27 not have more vertical room, and even more horizontal room? I suppose it saved you some cash though.

12. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

lm_wfc, you are correct, but having in mind much higher resolution and basically the same preset vertical display area one can have even trouble with reading, it just not practical enough, watching movies is however another thing (although I rather watch them in my living room with true surround sound and on a 55"). Dell 30" would definitely be an excellent way to go.

13. Soren

Soren What's a Dremel?

Hello Tech fans!

Some time has passed (5 years in fact), and it would be "polite" to make some changes in the system, technology has changed quite a bit in that time frame and I'm in need of your assistance. First of all, let me hear your proposals how to upgrade the system, the only thing that will not change is Obsidian 800D and pw HX750W, transition will be gradual to test every component.

Firstly I wanted to change the core of the system with the following:

mobo: Asus X99-A (very good reviews, well equiped "entry" mobo for X99)
    CPU: Intel i7 5820K (Socket 2011-3, cheapest 2011-3 on the market)
    CPU cooling: Corsair Hydro H75 (compatible with 2011-3, current H50 is not)

Any suggestions? Should I perhaps wait a bit with changes, major new technologies around the corner?