1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My great PSU idea

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NiHiLiST, 19 May 2003.

1. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Okay guys, so most of us have one of two problems with any power supply:

1. The cables are too short and require extensions via Y-splitters or are just too short to be routed cleanly.
    2. The cables are too damn long and there's just not enough free drive bays to pack them all into :)

So here's my solution. The PSU manufacturers mount the ATX motherboard cable etc as usual, but the standard power molex's are different. There would be a bank of sockets (maybe 8 or so?) on the back of the PSU with no cables coming out. Then included with it you get an assortment of power cables of varying lengths along with some various Y-splitters and floppy-drive adaptors.

Personally I can't really see a floor with this since the cost surely couldn't be that high since the sockets on the PSU could just be standard molex extension cable style ones. If anyone here works for a PSU company or anything then suggest it to them :p

What does everyone think?

2. zackerouac

zackerouac bring it

i'd buy one :thumb: :D lord knows i wouldnt have a **** load of cables everywhere!!

3. delphia

delphia What's a Dremel?

the only downside would be that the molux connectors could come loose at the psu, thus creating another thing to check when things come loose.

the above could be fixed with plastic hooks like on a conventional atx power plug to prevent them pulling.

but otherwise its a DAMN good idea

4. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

You just stole my idea! That was one of the planned mods for this summer ;)

Literaly! I think that preformance-pcs has a mod that does something similar, but it would be nice if the manucaturers would take a hint :hint:

5. aurazes

aurazes What's a Dremel?

6. jimmy the fish

jimmy the fish What's a Dremel?

That's quite a good idea actually :) However, they'd have to be fitted very securely since i've found that low quality molex connectors (usually splitters) need a fair amount of force to be removed from the PSU.

7. NiHiLiST

Yeah. I'm sure they could design a secure plug to be honest. Maybe as someone suggested have a clip design like on the ATX motherboard cables? Or just some new proprietary plug, or one already available for other use. As long as it fits securely, only in one orientation and locks in in some way then it's cool really.

8. NiHiLiST

Oh, and that Performance PCs modded PSU is almost EXACTLY what I mean yeah. I just meant having the sockets on the back of the PSU itself rather than on little cables, but the principles exactly the same.

9. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I had a similar idea, but maybe not using 4-pin molex connectors on the PSU but rather a kind of connector that was panel mounting, to prevent the kind of problems that might occur when trying to insert/remove the connectors with a lot of force.

10. olv

olv he's so bright

11. Cool Chip

Cool Chip What's a Dremel?

heres what i made a few months ago, its roughly the same idea you've had

[​IMG]

removed all pc wires bar the mobo power and two power cords, which were cut two lenght of where th box is mounted, and (this is the bit i neva got round 2 doing,got a new psu now neway) a made to size chain of power connecters,two of which plug in to the box's bannana sockets.

just another unfinished project lol

btw i used duel power chains out of psu because of the thin gage wire,and to connector chains because of the shear noumber of connections i needed.

hope that helps :)