1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Photography Portfolio Website... Help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cptn-Inafinus, 3 Dec 2012.

1. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

Hey all,

First and foremost, despite being on here for a long time, I am ignorant as to whether this is the most appropriate section of the forum to post in. Move as required!

Secondly, I'd like to lay out the fact that I am very much web-design beginner. I have made some pretty naff, pure HTML sites in the past and have a basic idea of how to use CSS. I am creating the website in Kompozer as I've used it in the past and understand it!

The problem!

I'm looking for help for a very specific problem. I'm currently making up a photography portfolio website for my self and I'd like to implement a static sidebar that I can update without having to change each page on the site.

An example of what I'd like to do can be seen here. (Incidentally, a harrowing but very good project from the same institution I'm currently studying at.)

The best (Simplest?) implementation I've found for this thus far can be seen here. (Header is just for my title etc, could be useful!) Is this the best option for what I'd like to do?

Secondly, what is going to be the best way to implement this sidebar so that I don't have to update each page when I add a new project?

I realize that having a 'frame' that changes the set of images displayed on one single page would probably the easiest way to do this, but to be honest I'm really up for the challenge and think the other option will offer me more flexibility in the future.

Just before I sign off, I'd like to say I'm not looking for a step by step guide, just some pointing in the right direction and even the right things to look for! It took me a silly amount of time to work out that a 'sidebar' was the best word to describe what I was trying to make!

Cheers all,

Jack

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I would have a look at a content management system as this should save you a lot of time on what you are looking at

3. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

For a simple portfolio site pick a CMS system you like (there are many to choose from: Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal etc.) then build a site around it.

4. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

5. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

I know all of these solutions exist and I'm well versed with tumblr, but half the point of this exercise is to learn.

Edit- Plus you'll notice the examples I've given are not really in a blog 'format'.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2012
  6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

You can get templates for this, I use one on my website it comes with a master template that changes all the other pages automatically.

I have edited the template for my needs.