1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Club 3D Radeon HD 7990 6GB review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 7 Dec 2012.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Awful crossfire drivers by the look of it.

2. Valinor

Valinor What's a Dremel?

Unless the driver isn't written well enough.

3. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

More GPU companys should make more cards like this, i'd like to see 7870 crossfire in one card, or 660sli on a stick, just something not mainstream.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'm sure they'll manage it for AAA games ;)

5. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Yeah and that is very tempting. But I was thinking mainly that the 690 uses less power so I wouldn't need a new PSU. And I also would have difficulty accepting the fact that after spending 700 ish quids on something so uber, it still doesn't let me turn on the pretty physx smoke and stuff in games like Arkham City :/

Third world problems I know. :p

I have never had one in my life, but I have one in my basket at Scan at the moment and am dicing on pulling the trigger. The only reason is that I am upgrading to a very high resolution 27" monitor and the single slot cards all struggle with that resolution :(

Again... third world problems :p But for me the 700 ish pounds is a huge amount of money for me so I would have to consider a lot and fuss about everything before deciding. Nice to have some choice though at least.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

You should be able to, I play it with full detail and PhysX on a single 560TI. You should at least be able to use one of the GPU's for graphics and the other for Physx

Edit, ahh I see you meant the 7990

7. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Yeah the 7990. Although it seems like physx on the graphics card isn't used much anyway. In Arma3 they are going to do it via the cpu.

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I've not been paying attention to the high end GPU market for a bit, but £700! You could buy a whole computer for that. You could practically buy a car for that.

9. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

This needed a proof reading somewhere:
    So, what's the true base clock? 3GB instead of 6GB.
    And the charts the 6 from GB is missing.

About the graphic card: It sure has the raw power to plow through, unfortunately all this kind of cards depends on how well the drivers work and since it isn't an official release, the support for this product should be even scarce unless Club3D does a thing of the past... Every manufacturer did its own drivers ensuring full support so if Club3D goes down this way, this card might have some pretty good margin to improve.

Would like to know the reasons behind AMD's decision of not launching a dual gpu. I can only think of the amount of power needed and the 28nm manufacturing process

Last edited: 9 Dec 2012
  10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Just to be pedantic but if you are going to complain about proof reading maybe you should check your own posts too?

11. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Ha ha ha. This is too true.

12. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Cheers, the 3GB has been changed to 6GB and the graphs should be fixed too. RE the clock speeds, officially they're 900MHz overclocking to 925MHz at the push of a button, but as the article states, this button didn't appear to affect the clock speed in any way and it remained at 925MHz all the time, hence why it was easier just to say they're clocked at 925MHz. Sorry for any confusion!

13. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Thank you for the explanation. The clock speed really was confusing and left me thinking which it was and if it was the limit but that I got to understand when reading the overclock section.

Although my first language isn't english, after reading my own comment I must admit it also needed a proof reading. Mistake on my behalf

14. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Crazy isn't it :/

And it might even get worse if AMD can't keep up with nVidia.

15. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

If 700 is too much, then its just too much, considering if you sit on your hands single GPU cards will come out later that will be faster. Say if the 700 is sitting around burning a hole in your pocket, then I would buy another high res 27 inch screen, remember to get some displayport to mini display port cables.

I currently run my U2711's at 5670x1080 in eyefinity or something like that, since one of the three screens isnt a U2711. I plan to get another graphics card for cross fire when the prices of them go down even further. I was deciding on another U2711 or another screen, productivity goes up with more screen space. :D

16. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

If you are going to pay that much for a GFX card, you might as well get two.

17. Ashwin

Ashwin What's a Dremel?

That one card costs more than my whole pc ;_; and lol at the power consumption. Crazy.

Tags: Add Tags