1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Intermittent crashing

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Neogumbercules, 20 Dec 2012.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Hi guys. Been having some random crashing issues lately, was hoping you could help me narrow it down.

Basically what's happening is when I am playing a game (doesn't matter which one) I will sometimes come to a near freeze situation where the action actually does freeze but the sound goes into some kind of slo-motion reverb and just makes blaring noise until I hard reset my computer. For example, in Batman the game froze, but the audio of some thugs having a conversation continued to play, just really slowly, and heavily distorted.

This happened once in Skyrim and while attempting to pull out my phone to take a video, it actually unfroze and went back to normal.

Any idea what this could be?

2. Shichibukai

Shichibukai Resident Nitpicker

Sounds like an unstable overclock, but looking at your sig if you spend that much money on a system you've probably stress tested it already, wouldn't hurt to take another look I guess.

3. Neogumbercules

I had a stable overclock for several months at 4.2GHZ and I recently dropped my 670 down to default settings because it wasn't really doing me any good in terms of real-world performance.

A couple of weeks ago I dropped my OC to 4ghz and lowered my voltage. Now that I think of it, it's possible that I don't have enough voltage pumping. Was running it at 1.150v. I'll try to bump it up a bit and see what happens.

4. Neogumbercules

OK so a few things are starting to make me wonder if my motherboard is biting it.

I went into UEFI and set everything to default factory settings. The computer failed to load Windows. It crashed on the Windows 7 logo animation. This was with no OC, no over-volt, nothing.

I increased the CPU voltage and lo-and-behold, it started working.

I've gone back and set my previous stable overclock which is 4.2 Ghz, 1.165v, 1.9 PLL, LLC set to 3. Memory is stock voltage and frequency @1600.

My PCI-E wireless internet adapter is randomly failing. My connection will die and Windows will stop recognizing I have a card installed. This occasionally occurs with my graphics card as well. The screen will go dark, then pop back with a message saying my graphics card driver stopped responding and has since recovered. The internet card never recovers, btw. The only way to get it back is a restart.

I'm starting to wonder if my motherboard is frying out. I'd run it on stock settings to see if the OC has any effect, but it crashes at stock. I guess I can keep trying until it works.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I solved the boot crash at default settings. Turns out my motherboard defaults to IDE mode for the primary hard drive when you set defaults. I put it back on AHCI and it boots fine now. I guess I'll run it at bone stock for a while and see if I still have any issues.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2012