1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Multiple drives...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mason7773, 21 Dec 2012.

1. Mason7773

Mason7773 What's a Dremel?

I have a PC capable of holding 6 drives, only it's struggling quite a bit, so all I was wondering, is what does trying to run multiple drives depends on?

I would guess RAM but I'm not so sure, so instead up upgrading my RAM from 6 to something higher, I wanted to make sure it would make a difference.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Are you talking about Hard Drives? Memory has now real impact as far as I know!

It's just data storage! Only real difference would be to invest in an SSD for your operating system.

3. Mason7773

I'm talking about DVD/Dual Layer drives mate, and whether adding more RAM willing allow me to use more drives at once without any slowing down/failing.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Define "struggling a bit"

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The transfer from an Optical Disk Drive is a limiting factor in and of itself, adding RAM won't change that.

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Nothing to do to improve optical data speeds, they have a top speed of about 8MB/s CD, 30MB/s DVD, 60MB/s BD in a best case scenario. Optical media is crap, wish it would die.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Whilst I don't want optical media to die, having installed Windows from a USB drive I never want to do it from a DVD ever again...

Back on topic - what do you want / need that many drives for? If it's faster only having 1 drive being used at once then it could be the PC that's the problem - more than likely as others have said though it could just be the drives that are the issue...

8. Mason7773

I am doing photography/media, etc and soon I will need to make a massive amount of duplicates... Yes, there are easier and better ways around this such as duplicators and whatnot, but I just wanted to know if adding more RAM will allow me to run maybe a 3rd/4th drive and burn with them all running at once.

At the moment I am able to burn with 2 burners at once, but a 3rd just struggles massively and it fails allot.

It seems like upgrading from 6GB RAM won't help me with the 3rd/4th drive... however, as mentioned, there are others ways around this so it's no big issue at all, I was just basically asking the pros. :)

9. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Are you sure you're doing Photography/Media?

You're not at a boot sale saying 'latest' 'best version' '£2 only!' '100% rip' These are a few phrases that come to mind when someone says 6 DVD Drives.

It's a long shot, and I've not heard of it happening before, but is your PSU up to spec? if you're running a high end PC on a 500W PSU (Which is possible) more DVD drives 'Could' be causing a PSU overload, and therefore failing to power the extra drives.

Only a guess, I'm sure someone will tell me I'm horridly wrong.

10. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

This is really the only thing I can think of bar software issues.

11. Mason7773

Lol, no mate, and I do not know of those phrases?

I'm doing photography/media in uni and I'm making business out of it... I can print my name/logo on disks fast enough, I just need to burn them quicker/more at a time.

PSU seems to make sense, but I'm running 900 watt PSU. If it's not that, or RAM that can help, maybe it being an i7 rather than an i5 is a problem, as I've come across a few people mentioning that.