1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Newbie build from scratch - 1500GBP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dozeyMonkey, 20 Dec 2012.

1. dozeyMonkey

dozeyMonkey What's a Dremel?

Budget:
    initially 1500 GBP for everything (rig, os, accessories)... although there might be an option to add a little more over the coming months for additional components.

Main uses of intended build:
    gaming, some database stuff (work), I dabble in making 3d models in blender etc.

Parts required:
    I've got an old keyboard... this is going to be a return to a decent desktop machine after too long making do with craptops so I'll be needing everything.

Previous build information (list details of parts):
    I'm a newbie at building a whole rig from scratch, but familiar with switching out basic components (boards, harddrives etc.) in builds a few years back (you know when the single cores were dying out... man I feel old saying that!). No real parts of any use these days to hand.

Monitor resolution:
    I'm quite keen on being able to support dual monitors of a decent resolution... although I'll probably start with only one due to space constraints on where this rig is going to live to start with. Might be an overcompensation to living on laptops but having a nice sized high res monitor would be excellent :D

Storage requirements:
    more space means i can be lazy with tidying up files ;) but I'm not a hoarder of musics or whatever so storage isn't of huge importance. SSD for boot and primary gaming would be good.

will you be overclocking:
    ... have never done it, but i like getting the most out of what I buy so will be hoping to push a little bit. Idiot proof and simple to achieve would be a benefit.

other requirements:
    the rig needs to be fairly quiet due to it's placement, and I'm a little paranoid about heat after burning out a couple of (heavily abused) laptops in the past. I'm happy to put more of the funds into "cool and quiet" if needed, although I'm not too keen on a water cooling solution (with my luck it'll leak!).

The funds going into this rig is something of a one off, so it needs to see me for a few years with minimal update costs.

Not sure if I've got room for a full tower case so it might need to be a step down from that, doesn't need to be tiny or anything. I like subtlty so a sleak black case will be fine, function over form on this one.

I've been looking on here recently and the cookie cutter rig at the moment for these requirements appears to be the i5 3570k and Z77 motherboard. I'm happy to stick with the i5 since I can't see me needing the i7, as to which exact motherboard... erm... yeah. Out of my comfort zone on those, not too sure about all the various different makes and models! lol Is there any particular reason for going with one over another from that main makes?

Has there been any great movement in hardware since the august guide? or does it mostly stand as it did then?

I'm also not entirely sure which windows os to go for, is it too soon for 8 to be properly supported for gaming etc.?

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

CPU: 3570K as you've already figured.

Motherboard: I can recommend the Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H as it does everything I need (including easily overclocks the 3570K to 4.5GHz). However, it costs £80, and your budget could fit a more expensive board. I'm not sure what they offer over a cheaper board.

RAM: 8GB 1600MHz 1.5V. Check out some Corsair Vengeance LP kits.

PSU: Seasonic G550 maybe?

Case: This is more of a personal decision. Check out Fractal Design offerings for instance.

SSD: 128GB or 256GB Samsung 830 if you can find one (they're discontinued). Otherwise it gets more difficult. The 840 isn't as good as the 830.

Monitor: Dell U2412M.

3. dozeyMonkey

ok, so i'm looking at the motherboard options... Gigabyte GA-Z77 series and the Asus Maximus Gene V seem to be the favourites from what I've read recently.

Is there any great difference between the mATX and ATX forms (other than the size and therefore the case they need :p)

Asus MAXIMUS V GENE
    Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H
    Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H

The Asus looks like it supports a more aggressive overclock approach... at a bit higher price. Would this be overkill?

Of the three Gigabyte motherboards, which would be best?

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Nope.

Mhmm, what's a more aggressive overclocking approach?

I had no issues overclocking to 4.5GHz on my GA-Z77-D3H.

I'd take the GA-Z77-D3H because it's ATX and so has more expansion slots.

5. dozeyMonkey

Supports memory overclocking and has more support for thermal monitoring...

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Sounds like you'll want plenty of RAM if you're doing 3d modelling work. Get at least 16Gb (it is pretty cheap these days).

How important is image quality to you? If you want two really good monitors then that could use up all of the £1500 without even touching the computer itself! I would just go with one largish one and keep the money. Something like the afforementioned Dell.

7. dozeyMonkey

I've been looking at the 2x8GB kits :)

I'm liking the look of the 'Dell U2412M', seems quite a popular choice too. Single monitor would be fine to start.

I've been reading up on cases and figuring out what cooler would fit into each... any pointers?

8. dozeyMonkey