1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 New to PS3 - which games to get?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Picarro, 7 Jan 2013.

1. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Hello people

Just got my PS3 in the door, and having tried out a couple of games I can safely say which genres I like the most. LittleBigPlanet had me laughing and giggling like a small schoolboy, while I nearly cried from boredom at CoD:Black Ops.

Which games can you recommend me in the platform genre? I'd like there to be a demo but that is not necessary.

Games I have tried, with score in (x/10). Remember, all of these are demo's. I tried my brothers GT5 - but it is a tad too realistic for me.

• Uncharted, Drakes Fortune (5)
    • Ratchet and Clank (7)
    • Need for Speed: Most Wanted (8)
    • Lego: LoTR (4)
    • CoD Black Ops (4)
    • MotorStorm Pacific Rift (8)
    • Uncharted 2 Among Thieves (6)
    • LittleBigPlanet2 (9)
    • RaymanHD (7)

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

JOURNEY

My favourite game of 2012 - and this comes from an avid PC gamer. Absolutely brilliant.

It only lasts 2-3 hours but make sure you are uninterrupted whilst playing it.

3. lava

lava Minimodder

Demon Souls absolutely brilliant
    If GT5 was too realistic, need for speed hot pursuit was a good laugh and i enjoyed it (not played any later releases)

4. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus HD

5. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

Disgaea 4.

Valkyria Chronicles.

Okami HD.

Resident Evil 4 HD (and Code Veronica of you liked the older resident evils).

90% of the ps1 classics.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You might want to consider a years sub to PSN+ @ 30quid, will give you access to a few games each month for free, mostly good particularly if you have not been an owner before, also cloud saves, automatic game and system patching which is handy no more waiting, plus game trials, etc.

LBP2 is free at the mo and perhaps Motorstorm and Uncharted ( but they might be in rotation, I am not 100% on how it works just download them each month :D) there are loads, go up for 4wks but if you download them you can access the entire time you have a sub.

ah here is some details with current game list.

http://uk.playstation.com/playstationplus/

Burnout paradise is probably cheap to pick up and good fun if you like most wanted,

Last edited: 7 Jan 2013
  7. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

If you can wait a wee while, wait for The Last of Us. Looks brilliant, shame its only on PS3, would look so much better on the PC.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Oh Wipeout of course i

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Pixel Junk Shooter 1 & 2!

10. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

God of War
    Heavy Rain

11. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

I think most of the paltform exclusives have been mentioned already with the exception of one:

Metal Gear Solid 4!

Seriously one of the best games I've ever played. Maybe not so good if you've never played through any of the others.

God Of War 3 is also excellent.

Also look into many of the HD remakes of the classics. Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Okami, Ico & Shadow of the Colossus are all good.

12. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Most Wanted is he best racer I've played in a long time. Get it if you're into fun arcade racing.

God of War Complete set is great, but don't play all of them in one go or you'll get burnt out.

Worth having a copy of FIFA for the lads when they come round too.

13. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Final Fantasy X is getting a HD re-release on PS3, I'd be interested in that.

14. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

+1 for PSN+ - This is a great way of getting a few 'free' games. I wouldn't be without this now. If you get this then it pretty much covers your gaming for the first month or so.

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm surprised you weren't more impressed by Uncharted 2 - unarguably the best in the series so far for me. Perhaps the demo isn't all that.

I hope Assassin's Creed 3 opens up a bit as I've only put a few hours in and it's still, push a button, watch cutscene, run here, another cutscene, walk a bit here, push a button, watch cutscene so far, which has put me off it a bit tbh. It looks quite pretty though.

The recent Most Wanted combines the original and Burnout Paradise. Quite magical.

It looks like you loved the demo of LBP2 - the game itself is really very good and you owe it to yourself to play through it. Two-player is screamingly good fun.

16. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Infamous 1+2 get my vote!

17. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I actually bought LBP2 yesterday and it should be in the mail today. I also want Motostorm as you can do 4 player in it, and on my 120" projector it's gonna be a sure hit with the friends :D

I was wondering about the PSN subscription - I just have qualms about "leasing" games. I'd much rather have a solid disk in my hands.

18. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I've got a PS+ account, you do get a few good games and you can re-download any of the PS+ games you've purchased (by this I mean go to the store add free games to your basket and clicked purchase. if you don't and the game goes out of the 10 current PS+ games you won't be able to download it in the future. note: you don't have to download the game when you 'purchase' it, it just adds it to your download account).

I wasn't sure about it getting the PS+ sub, so I tried a 3 month sub first.

Uncharted 1-3
    Little Big Planet 1&2
    Darksiders 1&2 (I think you've missed the first on PS+)
    Warhammer 40k: Space Marine (you've just missed this one on PS+)
    Batman A. Asylum / City (City is on PS+ at the moment)
    Bleach (but pretty much only if your a fan of the anime)
    Disney Universe (was quite fun, especially if you've got small children)
    Chime
    Mortal Kombat 9.
    Borderlands 1&2 (I think 1 is currently on the + sub along with Bulletstorm)
    inFamous 1&2
    Wipeout
    Vanquish was fun,
    Bayonetta, while not as good on the ps3 as it was on the 360 is still a great game,
    Mortorstorm is currently on the ps+ sub.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2013
  19. AbeArceo

AbeArceo What's a Dremel?

My Recommendations:

Uncharted series
    Mass Effect series
    Dragon Age 1 & 2
    Darksiders 1 & 2
    Dead Space (only played the first one)
    Bayonetta
    Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution (still playing this)
    Little Big Planet 1 & 2
    Valkyria Chronicles (over looked but a must play!)

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You also get free Vita games with the same subscription, it really is quite awesome if you don't subscribe to the Sony hate that goes around the forum.

As bladeMrk says get on each month Tues or Weds and purchase the freebies even if you don't have time as you can download at anypoint in the future, as yet nothing has expired though i do see expiry dates on some of it, so I better play Red dead redeption soon I suppose.

Something else that is quite good on there if you have PSN+ is Music Unlimited, £12 for a years Premium access, good stuff.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2013