1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling idea for cooling... not sure if itll work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carnut101, 23 May 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carnut101

carnut101 Banned

i have an idea for something that you put on your fans that should increase airflow from 15-20%, but it involves magnets (no, im not crazy). is there any way to shield the magnetinc fields so that it doesnt affect my hard drive or any other important part that could be affected?

2. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Depending on how powerfull the magnets are you might not need any protection. Dont ask me how powerfully it would have to be to effect anything because I dont know....

Whats your idea?

3. carnut101

carnut101 Banned

im not telling:p . if it works i could patent it and make $$$:D.

4. carnut101

carnut101 Banned

though is there anything to shield it? i want to try it on my computer but i dont want to risk ruining my hard drive.

5. wywywywy

wywywywy Minimodder

In that case why would anyone tell you :p

6. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Basicly any metal but harddrives really need to come in almost direct contact with the metal to hurt it...You main problem with be monitor EMI

7. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

What you need is a Diamagentic materal.
    (Search google)

Diamagentecs oppose what ever magenetic field i they are exposed to.

8. carnut101

carnut101 Banned

ok, thanks. i'll try it over the weekend and see if it works good.:dremel: :geek:

9. carnut101

carnut101 Banned

i cant really find anything. any particular material thats relatively cheap?

10. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

Find somewhere that sells speaker cones, they will possibly be able to help you as people building their own speakers could need to shield them if they're going near a crt of any form. Probably your best bet.

11. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

Not being rude, but this is what I would expect from a 12 year old. Unless you were lying here.

Forums in general are a place for SHARING ideas, not blagging free help off people to try and make a few bucks. What incentive do people have to help out folks who take advantage of their willingness to provide help.

And no offence mate, but I have never met a 12 year old who would be able to make modifications to a fan resulting in a 20% increase in efficiency. But lets suppose you did. Is it economically viable? How much does it add to the cost of manufacturing, and can you reasonably expect to make this back in added value to the product. If the answer is yes, then it would probably have been done before by some scientist/phd student somewhere in the world.

And, if in fact you were lying about your age, then that ain't gonna make people want to help you even more is it?

The right words to get help in this community are something along the lines of

"Hey guys, I've got this great idea how to improve the efficiency of fans, but need some help. Here's how it works......

......What do you think? Any suggestions? I think it could be a great benefit to the community."

But lets face it. These aren't the thoughts running through your mind, are they?

[/rant]

Have a nice day.

8-ball

12. Sid

Sid Banned

I don't really think thats true or fair at all 8-ball. Forums aren't necessarily about sharing information. Yeah, that's part of them. But the reason behind most posts on this forum are people looking for help or people giving help. Initially, people come here to "blag free help". It's free. You're not supposed to be paid for it. That's why people come here. If they wanted to pay they'd go to a company. Anyway, these people tend to end up being the ones giving the help in the future. It's all about helping other people.

This guy needs help. Does it really make a difference to you whether he's gonna be making money out of it? What difference does it make to you really? Perhaps you are just slightly bitter that it isn't you that could be making the money :waah: (hehe, sorry, that was meant to be light-hearted).

I think the guy should be given help. He can try to make his little magnets work. Maybe he'll start up a company and we'll be able to buy super-fans. Maybe he'll make a bit of money, good for him.

Unfortunately though, I know nothing about magnets, or much else. But good luck to you, carnut101.

13. wywywywy

wywywywy Minimodder

Sid, I think 8-Ball is more on carnut101's attitute of "using" the forum instead of the actual fact of "asking for help".

And I would agree with 8-Ball.

14. Sid

Sid Banned

I don't quite understand what you mean wywy... I just feel he's asking for help. That's what it seems like. The forum is there to be used. If he contributes back to it once he is a more experienced user then that's great. Most people start out being the user's then go on to being the helpers, as I've said already. I think it's best to pass on any knowledge so more people become educated and help others.

I think the whole, "im not telling. if it works i could patent it and make $$$." thing was taken a bit too seriously perhaps. I mean, the smiley faces used suggested that was just a bit of humour really.

If it's already known that he's 12, and also that statements like that are expected, then why bother to make a deal of it? It is what you'd expect from a 12 year old, that's the sort of thing 12 year olds say. Not really his fault. He still needs help.

15. Giggz

Giggz Minimodder

lol can we get back on topic?

16. wywywywy

wywywywy Minimodder

Oh hmm... carnut101 is banned?
    Isn't that a bit too far?

EDIT:
    Okay hmm just found that only 13+ is allowed on bit forums.
    Below 13 youngsters need parent guidance.

Last edited: 25 May 2003
  17. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Actually he was banned for spaming warez stuff...

No more point for this...Closed..

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.