1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Razer unveils the Ouroboros, new BlackWidows

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 27 Jul 2012.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I think the most common "gaming switches" are browns and reds. Blacks have to high of an actuation force and blues are just not suited for gaming. Good pick Razer, you really know the market :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm not saying you can't game on blues, I have before, but it does take some time to get used to the double plunger of the blue switches especially when double tapping.

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I know a lot of people hate on Razer but my old DeathAdder was the best mouse I ever owned before I got my Mamba, which is so damn comfortable to use.

I also have a BlackWidow Ultimate and whilst having a few quirks is built like a brick ****-house.

I like Razer gear, never had an issue with any of it. I used to pretty much always stick to Logitech, who make great peripherals and have fantastic support, so it took a lot for me to move over.

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Compared to a typical rubber dome blacks are fairly normal in actuation force, it's worked pretty well for Steelseries, Thermaltake, Mionix, et al. Considering that Razer is losing every customer who wants a linear switch to these other companies I figured they'd have added a model with blacks just to compete, possibly with a red subset product similar to how they set up their blue and brown boards.

If memory serves they went with blues in the first place because some pro RTS gamers were using them. But that's Razer for you, appealing to the GAMER crowd first and making a decent product second. They do turn out some decent products, it's just a matter of getting through the lime-green sea of overhyped advertising to find out what.

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I fall squarely into the bracket of people who does not like Razer products. It's not that I don't like all of them and it's not even that I don't like the company, because I do believe that they try hard to please gamers, but their quality control and build quality in general in recent years has steered me away from them. My brother and I gamed on various bits and pieces of Razer hardware for several years - he had a Barracuda headset and an early version of the Tarantula keyboard, neither of which he actually liked. The headset broke at the remote after about 6 months of general use on his gaming rig, and I was able to open the in-line remote up and repair it, but the keyboard just wasn't for him, so he switched to a Logitech G11. He'd had a G15 before the Razer which had a nasty run-in with a tin of Jolt Cola at a LAN :rolleyes:.

I've had a silly amount of Razer stuff over the years as well, both brought here to be sold with customer machines or my own personal peripherals which I've bought to use. I've tried their headsets, keyboards, mice and mouse pads and the only one that I still use today is the eXactMat hard gaming pad. As a high sensitivity gamer in FPS games, I just can't get used to a cloth mouse mat, so I've stuck with this one the whole time. All the other peripherals of theirs that I tried were fine to use, but I found the build quality to be lower than what I expected and I just sold most of them on. Included in that bunch was my own set of Barracudas, a Deathadder, Tarantula and Goliathus. I went back to Logitech mice, back to a Speedlink headset and back to a Saitek/Cyborg keyboard after trying all of those. The main problem with them all except the Goliathus (which just didn't suit my gaming setup) was plastic... Too much plastic, Razer, and not enough build quality. I think one popular hardware reviewer referred to one of their latest gaming headsets using the word "tack". That about sums it up.

5. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Yes, I do.

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I honestly doubt that you'll be able to get any noticeable performance, skill or speed boost just from upping to 8200DPI. I went from 3200 to 5600DPI, and i've even used 6400DPI mice before; it's just too much. You've got to use such finite wrist movements that the slightest bit of dirt or dust slowing the mouse can throw you off. 8200 would be even more prone to those errors. It would only work if you use the mouse at 8200 DPI and threw the mouse sensitivity into the negative in some games just to make the motions somewhat possible to bear.

7. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

Everything I've ever bought from Razer in the past has broken within 12 months - NEVER AGAIN!

8. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Yeah they do seem to have a reputation of hit or miss reliability.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, my daughter still uses my DeathAdder which has been going for god knows how many years; must be 6 or so. My Mamba and BlackWidow Ultimate are still fine 18 months on.

9. Bokeh

Bokeh What's a Dremel?

I just used a friends Blackwidow today, very nice bit of kit. I Wouldn't hazard a guess as to the switch longevity of it (you guys know a lot more than I do about the switches) but to me it felt pretty heavy and solid so the body could at least take a physical beating, useful if you were taking it to LANs all the time.

10. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

slamming your mouse and keyboard around like a thug does that. My gear always lasts. I upgrade, but my diamondback, and two other razer keyboards work perfectly. Take care of your crap, it lasts.

11. undertaken316

undertaken316 Banned

Guys I've found this awesome video review ofr the Ouroboros and it's like a Razer advertisment! Amazing check it!
    http://youtu.be/8Q56524Q1LE

Tags: Add Tags