Matrix sequel pirated online

Discussion in 'General' started by Lord_A, 27 May 2003.

1. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

A high-quality copy of the film is being downloaded by hundreds of people each day via a website which uses the file-sharing computer program BitTorrent.

The availability of the film online will come as a blow to executives who co-ordinated a worldwide release of the film in an attempt to thwart piracy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/2940270.stm

Err, co-ordinated a worldwide release? wtf?
    So May the 15th for the US and May the 21st for the UK is called a co-ordinated a worldwide release...:confused:

IMO - and I know I will get in trouble for saying this, what do they expect if they don't release it on the same dates.

:thumb: to X-Men 2 who did it correctly :clap:

EDIT : I suppose they don't mean a simultaneous co-ordinated a worldwide release, but then why did they think it would thwart piracy?

Anyway, I say movies should be released in every country at the same time, as well as video / dvd rental and sales on the same date. If people want to go watch it on the big screen they will, if they want to watch it at home they will - even if it means downloading it, so rather have everything out on the same date is what I say.

2. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

I can agree with that.

I would still go catch a movie at the cinema even if the video/dvd was out. And I have friends who won't go near a cinema, they just wait until it's on DVD.

3. K

K 528491

It's annoying because there's no reason whatsoever why we get it a week later than the US.

Grrr.

:confused:

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

damn, i respect the matrix movies :) i wont download it! and yeah, wtf do they mean by co ordinated :?

on the up side, im glad they released it as a good quality pirate, low quality would just have taken the piss :p

5. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I won't be downloading it cos it's a waste of HDD space... :D I'm amazed the BBC bothered to even publish a story about it to be honest. It's not exactly surprising? What's more surprising is that it wasnt floating around out there before the film was released at all.

6. K

K 528491

Next you know you'll be able to download full albums and such illegally too!

:eeek:

7. -A-

-A- What's a Dremel?

tbh i think that pirates of stuff arent as good anyway! think about it, when i purchase a dvd it comes with a certain satisfaction imo, and then i want to watch it straight away! having to wait to download it and then watch it is pointless! not everyone wants to watch movies on their computers anyway! personally i have a surround sound system and a wide screen tv, so why would i want to watch a movie on my computer, even though i have a dvd drive!!

4DD!S:D

8. K

K 528491

Ironically most of the people that download movies and such are actual film buffs with a huge archive of legitimate movies.

A friend of mine for example has around a thousand DVDs yet downloads movies all the time to review them for his website.

9. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

With most DVD players nowadays able to play CDR's it's almost as good as an original dvd (depending on the quality of the rip obviously). I just can't wait for DVD releases, so I watch them, and I don't really like going to the cinema because there's always at least 1 noisy inconsiderate person or two in there that spoil it for me, that plus cinema's selling hot foods lately - when it's packed the place stinks wtf is up with that.
    I always buy the orinigal dvd anyways though, 'cause of the special features etc. Plus it's so much better having the original proper copy of something.

EDIT : mods delete if it's too 'pro-piracy'

Last edited: 27 May 2003
  10. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

If you actually read the story it states it has surround sound and is wide screen. It would be a simple case to play it on your dvd player if it supported (S)VCD or had a dvd burner.
    But I have to say it is better to see this type of movie at the cinema as even a big tv and surround sound on dvd is not as good.

11. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Actually it was out there a couple of days before the movie was released. I know someone who had it.

12. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Definition of irony: Movie moguls complain and bitch when their movie about subversive computer nerds and technological libertarians... is provided for free by subversive computer nerds and technological libertarians.

13. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

They don't seem to care about all the other films that have been pirated.

Wierd how they only notice this happening when a really big film is released.

The film was actually available before it was even released at the cinema in this country so I don't know what the "only weeks after" is all about.

People that download the film and don't go and see it in the cinema are nutters anyway. This film is designed to be watched on a huge screen with stunning surround sound and not on a small TV. People that watch this on the small screen before the big screen are actually losing out. :hehe:

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Shows how intune the BBC is.

True, i was able to get Matrix 2 from BitTorrent in about an hour or 2 (yes, all 3gig of it), but that's only cause stuff like Emule is backed up for WEEKS cause noone can p2p fast enough. There are *1000s* of edonkey network users who want it, much more then BitTorrent.

Its NOT high quality, its Telesynch ffs!! The only thing lower is "cam in cinema" trick.

I only downloaded it cause my 13 year old brother cant see it till i buy it on DVD, its not really fair on him cause he's a massive matrix fan too (although i dont think he gets the underlyings of it totally).
    But it happens on every-single-film that's released?! Just cause this is a biggie they go all wet their knickers over it. People will still buy the DVD. Im waiting for the box set.

EDIT: totally agree with spike - anyone with half a brain will realise this is a Cinema experience you MUST HAVE.

15. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Although in The Matrix Reloaded's case seeing it on a big screen just makes some of the effects all the more noticable. The Neo vs 100 Agent Smith sequence being a prime example.

16. Captainbirdseye

Captainbirdseye What's a Dremel?

ah, i saw someone on my uni network had this on there internal ftp server. i could of downloaded it of them, if my hard drive was big enough:waah:
    but really even if i had the space i would not download it, i really want to see this one at the cinema.

i think a lot of poeple might feel this way.

17. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Yes, that's what runied Toy Story for me.. it was obvious it was CGI when you see it in the cinema. :rolleyes:

I think you have to 'suspend your disbelief' because you know they can't do a scene like that without resorting to it. I don't think 'What, you mean that's not real actors?', I just appreciate the fact that I get to see a scene like that at all and accept that some of it will have to be done with CGI.

Did people mock the blue outlines, or visible wires in 70's and 80's films? No, they let it go because it was the best way at the time of achieving the effect. In modern films people take it for granted it should be picture perfect, when in reality this is the best you're going to get until the technology advances.

18. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

The computer fair I goto had loads of copies of this and xmen and probably any other film you could want on dvd, I assume they download them from the net and just burn them onto dvd. Now they should crack down on them as most people who don't have the time or connection will buy a copy then either lend or rent out that copy to a friend and etc. Films like the matrix are definatly better on the big screen.

19. -A-

-A- What's a Dremel?

i agree with herbs, a lot of films are better on the big screen! the matrix, x men!

when i went to see reloaded (both times) the rest of the croud had a laugh when something was funny, agent smith scenes, the merovingian, etc! imo, you cant beat that atmosphere and definately cant duplicate it at home while watching it on ur pc!

4DD!S:D

20. :Galokin:

:Galokin: Guest

i know there was an early release which consisted of sum guy/gurl sitting in the cinema wiv his/her camera.

ive also seen a 700mb version floating around the net somewhere, dunno what quality that would be but i aint gonna download. Ive seen the film twice at cinema and being a loyal matrix fan im gonna see the others and prolly buy the DVDs when released.

im done.