1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chimp Challenge 2013 Captains Notice

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Xavier Zepherious, 18 Feb 2013.

1. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

That's the whole idea, make everything fold! Last year I built up any systems I could with odd bits and even had my parents system going for most of the time.

Scorpuk likes this.
  2. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

3. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

4. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

5. Xavier Zepherious

Xavier Zepherious What's a Dremel?

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

7. RedFlames

UPDATE-y thing

EVGA are proposing dropping the Chimp names and just going purely on the team stats/points...

their argument, which personally I agree with, is trying to get get everyone over to the one name is a bit of a mare, especially if a team has a lot of members [like they do] or if people have several machines that all need updating [like a lot of you]...

Is this ok with the team?

also a lot of the captains have gone awol [myself included for which i apologise] so there's not been much discussion going on resulting in the traditional mad short-notice scramble...

I'll keep y'all updated as and when I hear more...

8. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

I think this sounds a good idea. :)

It should mean those who aren't active on the forums much, or at all, but fold for the team can still participate.

I presume some cut off point is recorded against all teams and they watch from that point on?

It was a bit of a chore changing all the comps over to the chimp name last time and then changing back. :)

It gets my vote. :thumb:

9. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

I'm fine with that too :)

Have we got a start date etc?

And details of points etc :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

10. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

it would also be neat if custom pc ran an article before, during and after. :D

edit: lol that be 3 months in magazine time. maybe before and after. :duh:

11. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Glad you are on it mate, I seen you signed up to the new captains forum nice one, I have had no free time to look into it or sign up myself yet so glad you are on it :)

This is going to be a tricky one as one of the whole points of having the CC was teamwork and to use a unified team name for the challenge.

End of the day im in it plus what ever I can get my hands on to fold on for the challenge but some might not be so willing, but then again if we are just folding as per normal then technically everyone is taking part anyway which leads me to what has been said other years which is, what's the point in even having the challenge if everything is just carrying on as normal with maybe a few extra PPD where others join in... :confused:

I know a lot of people from every team will like this method as there own point totals don't loose out during the challenge which is not what folding it about, its about the science and contributing to a good cause not point totals which im sorry to say I think CERTAIN teams are all about the points especially those offering incentives to fold rather than the good cause :(

My 2p's worth anyway and like I say I will throw everything I can at it as normal, maybe it might work out if handled correctly :)

We'll have a private catchup over PM soon as well bud :thumb:

12. RedFlames

i see where you're coming from coolamasta, but i can also see where EVGA are coming from to...

and i look forward to that chat... might want to pm some alternate contact details though... the main cause of my AWOL streak is the fact the majority of my PC is off to various places for RMA :( [at this moment in time I have no monitor, GPU and am missing a HDD... had to kidnap the parents PC to keep tabs on all this]

13. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

My feelings also.

14. vasileioszografos

vasileioszografos What's a Dremel?

would love to contribute. Can you tell us what we need to do? like idiot's guide in very few bullet points. And when of course.

Cant stand long emails :)

15. debs3759

If they change it so we don't have a special user name, you won't have to do anything special. Read the last few posts for more info on that.

16. vasileioszografos

ok as far as I am concerned.

Perhaps come up with a good incentive and it might just work (i.e. the team that win gets a huge bonus or something, or teams that hit performance targets get bonuses etc I dont know)

17. debs3759

Who is supposed to provide the incentives you are asking for? It is supposed to be a friendly competition betwen a few teams, not sponsored by Stanford. The point of folding is to help the science, Stanford aren't going to add extra points for a team that "win" a competition that is nothing to do with either them or the science.

18. vasileioszografos

Santa?

I think not.
    Such competitions are a huge boost to the scientific community and their work. And perhaps they could do well to encourage, assist and reward such incentives. It is not like we are making it for money now is it?

19. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

I would prefer it if we keep the Chimp names, its not difficult to change, after all if an ancient like me can do it, it MUST be easy :D:D
    have Just added a couple of SSD's to the main rig and cleaned out the rubbish

20. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

The incentive is the glory of taking part, of being able to say 'I took part'. Which is why we should fold under a special team-name, not just business-as-usual.

" And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day. "

Last edited: 14 Mar 2013