1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia shows off new realistic water effect: Position Based Fluids

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 26 Apr 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

What I wanna know is ............Why harm a bunny?

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

The problem with this sort of thing is that it looks great if you do a little two-foot-square box, but the moment you want, say, an ocean, or a lake, or frankly a smallish pond, it tends to become impractical.

4. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

very impressive. it looks a little rubbery but much better than most water effects we have now. Skyrims rivers and streams with this would be awesome but kill all but the best setups.

5. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Skyrim's water would kill my setup with this technology, and I've got a pair of GTX 670 4GB.

I wonder when processing ability will catch up to be able to render this in a large open world game like Skyrim.

6. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

so, how long till we can compute 10^12 particles and get the real deal.

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Now, I want that in Crysis 4;) (Plus GTX "Titan 2" in SLI;)

So this isn't possible to implement in games, cause latest GPUs are not strong enough to pull like a whole ocean coast, is that correct?

8. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

best water ive seens... now for how big can they take this. i dont want the next games to only have this effect in glasses and jugs cause the process is too complex the bigger you go.

9. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

They're plently fast enough already , they mention a "single GTX680 "...as they did with Epic's incredible Infiltrator demo. But they won't release any of these as benching demos :eyebrow:. What's possible in some Nvidia 'low level' compute demo and what is possible in-game through DirectX with (flushing /sync) wait time latency, is another thing altogether.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2013
  10. derviansoul

derviansoul What's a Dremel?

very, very impressive simulation demo... i cant wait to see this in games. hopefully in about 2 to 3 years

11. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Yeah, that's what I thought too - though it looks better once they add the vorticity confinement towards the end. (whatever that is!)

12. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Does anyone remember the PhysX water fron Ageia's PPU demos? Yeah, neither would I if I hadn't played the one single game that actually used it (Cryostasis).

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Looks good, but they should know that all I've really taken away from this is that the Lindt bunny has a new job

14. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

There is a big problem with this. This an nVIDIA PhysX paper. PhysX isn't going to be in any of the next generation games consoles as by all reports every console is going to AMD this time around.

This means that this technology is locked out of that market for 7+ years; unless we see a shorter turn around time by the consoles now that they could easily be backwards compatible due to them using commodity hardware.

That in turn will limit its take-up on the PC gaming platform side of things too which is a bit of a loss for us all.

15. DbD

DbD Minimodder

I think you miss-understand. Physx is on the Ati powered xbox 360, and the PS3's cell and it'll be available for all the next gen consoles too. Just because nvidia refused to make it work for Ati powered desktop gpu's doesn't mean they can't or won't make it work for the consoles. Of all the physics engines physx is the most easy to port to new hardware as it's run on a multitude of different back ends in it's time. It will be there from day one.

16. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Tags: Add Tags