1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding CNC Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by wejjy, 15 May 2013.

1. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

So following on from a previous thread I started, my CNC build is now under way. Ive been through a huge number of build logs on various forums to get an idea of what I will need to do and how to build something that will suit my needs.

I basically want a CNC router with the capability of cutting full 8' x 4' sheets. It will need to cut everything up to and including Aluminium so needs to be strong, it will be built from a combination of materials. The frame will be steel box section, the bed will be 10mm steel plate with T-Slots, and will also be able to act as a suds bath with a pump and filter. The gantry will be a combination of Aluminium profile and Aluminium plate.

All motors will be NEMA 34's with the exception of the z-axis, this will be smaller. The z-axis will have 350mm of travel to allow for larger objects to be cut. The X and Y axes will be running on 25mm Hi-win carriages, and the Z on a standard SBR25 linear rails. All of them will be moving with ballscrews and controlled through Mach3 software, hooked up to a custom PC! Phew!

So heres the first render of the bed:

[​IMG]

I am ordering the steel for the bed frame this week, and will log the build in this thread as it progresses.

The gantry designs are on version 101 I think, they are almost there, but tweaks are needed, then its onto the electrickery. I'll post designs when they are finalised.

More soon guys!

2. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

So the steel is now ordered and I will hopefully start cutting it and building the jig/frame this weekend if all goes to plan. We are finally underway!!

3. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Watching with interest!
    Will you consider doing custom work for the forum? :D

4. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Yes that's what I plan to do. Also going to be building bespoke parts and systems for the wider market hopefully. I have a few plans underway currently, keep watching :)

5. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I too will be keeping an eye :)

As a very long term project (as its got to be mostly free / salvaged parts) I'd like to make a smaller CNC for smaller work like PCB milling and plastic. Unfortunately with saving for a house I've not got a lot of money to put into it right now so i'll be getting my CNC building fix else where - here in fact :clap:

Very much blows my MDF based design to bits lol

6. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

If you need any parts cutting from MDF when you are ready and mines built let me know mate. Also building it from mdf is just as cool as from steel and ally, as long as it serves the purpose you create it for!! Will you be using belts or linear bearings or threaded rod?

7. dynamis_dk

Basic plan is linear bearings running on salvaged inkjet printer rails. Motion will be threaded rod initially and if I manage to get anywhere near accurate results I might drop the cash for a purpose made Machined Ballscrew / Ballnut setup.

I'm handy with a router and wood but lack any metal work skills so I figure if it works with MDF I can always slowly upgrade parts. Still undecided on what I'll use for my actual cutting spindle as I was going to base it around a dremel but apparently the accuracy is very poor. Thinking something like this maybe? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400W-CNC-...ial_Automation_Control_ET&hash=item3381729b29

8. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

I've been mulling over building a small CNC too, would be interested to see how this turns out. What are you using for motor control hardware? I was considering using RepRap motor controllers.

9. robump

robump Minimodder

Im also in the middle of building a CNC, however i have opted for one of the eshapeoko kits to begin with.

Running Nema 23's on x and y and a nema 17 on z. Hopefully going to use it to mill wood and perspex, might have to convert a milling machine for Aluminium.

Will post a link to my build when i get it underway....... hopefully can share some tips with wejjy!

10. dynamis_dk

And months down the line... I'll be stealing everyones ideas lol