1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Reliability on 56K ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SiliconHell, 23 May 2003.

1. SiliconHell

SiliconHell What's a Dremel?

Is there anyway that I cna make my 56K connection any more reliable ? I've been trying to play Counter Strike for ages now , and so far have only ever got into one or two rounds before my connectins logs off . I currently use AOL (don't laugh) , but I have no choice on this , and so lets not go down ther 'My ISP is better than yours' road ... my connection is also insanely slow , im lucky if I can get 30K or so ... also .. my modem claims its V92 . What the hell is this , and how do I use it ?

2. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

56k is dependant on the quality of wiring in your house and the distance to your local CO. How old is the wiring in your house? When I used 56k, I installed a new wire and jack from the computer back to the telephone interface in the basement and noticed a better connection. Also, if memory serves me correct, AOL will drop your connection after a certain amount of inactivity. I know that there's traffic on the line, but they consider inactivity anytime that you are NOT using the AOL browser software. If this is the case, then the only thing you'll be able to do is to sign up with a cheap dial-up ISP and drop your AOL service to the "bring your own service" level.

3. dakar

dakar What's a Dremel?

The other thing to consider is the POP or Point Of Presence that you dial into, if they have only analog lines/equipment the best you'll ever get would be 33.6, not matter what you have on your end. In order for you to connect at greater speeds (up to 53K in the US) they have to be completely digital on thier end.

4. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

you only get V92 if the ISP supports it and all it does is let you dial up quicker. Either get broadband or change your isp.

5. SiliconHell

SiliconHell What's a Dremel?

i can't get broadband because cable doesn't come out this far , and BT won't upgrade to ADSL . However , I have found a company called HighStream , who advertise a good speed , so I may have words with them

6. Joshwah

Joshwah Minimodder

I was on aol a few years back before i had broadband and they do indeed drop you after a certain period of no activty within there software or at least i found this. You can get some software which keeps you connected i think it pings the server or something not totaly sure how it works but i just googled for it, and did the trick.

7. Fowler

Fowler mmm Cosworth

im currently on aol 56k too, dont u find that u get the lag error when u try to play?

ive never had any luck! thats why im changing to nildram 512k soon! wooojjopooo

:naughty: Good Luck

8. sik

sik Banned

AOL let me connect for days, just idle in a chat room within their software.

9. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

another idea: phone up BT and ask them to turn the gain up on your phoneline

10. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Yea problem with aol is that they will route your connection everywhere but the server your trying to play on which causes mad lag...Its like cogent for dial-up

11. Fowler

Fowler mmm Cosworth

its completely ghey, I mean I cant even connect to the Warcraft 3 servers anymore cos everytime I try it dsiconnects me.

Im seriously gonna do some damage to this aol disk when I get my nildram ;)

:dremel: .. aol disk

12. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

AOL is simply the worst ISP ever! It works fine when u r using the AOL software but other than that...forget about it. Even if you cant get broadband then get a local ISP which lets you dial in using the windows software. ****, the days of free netzero was better than AOL! I couldnt get broadband, so I put up a 100 Ft tower in my backyard with a 2.4 ghz dish to a place with a 180 FT tower and a partial T1 and did a 802.11b wireless link to them.

Tags: