1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PCI or PCIe

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by therookie, 5 Jul 2013.

1. therookie

therookie What's a D.I.S.C.O?

So I'm going to be upgrading my old wireless adapter (Hawking High gain dish HWU8DD), now I have a PCIe slot free however there is not much room because of my 7850.

My question is should I, 1) buy a PCIe and risk airflow disruption to one of my Gcard fans, 2) buy a PCI wireless card, 3rd option would be a USB adapter but I'd rather have a card inside the case.

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Having used all three types I would avoid USB as I've only ever had issues with them. As for PCI / PCIe I've never noticed any difference between the two. I think that the bandwidth of both is more than enough for current wireless speeds so go for whatever's cheapest / least obstructive to your gpu / whatever imo :thumb:

GK

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

4. GeorgeK

Ribbon? (I'm not suggesting that as an option - I don't know what you mean by it :lol:)

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Andy was suggesting that a pcie ribbon maybe the answer to not blocking the fans

6. therookie

Yeah I guess what it comes down to is will I notice a difference between a PCI and PCIe network card, I'm not on fiber but I do game online, at the moment a good ping for me is 25-30ms depending on server location.

7. GeorgeK

I think a good card depends more on the manufacturer rather than the interface

8. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

When it comes to network cards I found that cheap Edimax (Ralink) cards were great. Since then I bought a couple of USB dongles (first a G then a N when they were available) and they're great. £4 delivered and have a Ralink chip :D

Don't bother with anything else now. I mean yeah, a £50 Dlink or what not would probably be better but I can't justify £46 more for slightly better ping times.

9. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

PCI is more than sufficient for anything home network related. If you can save some squids, same model, same speeds, pci will do everything you want without you knowing the difference.

10. therookie

Yeah ok, thanks guys I'll go with a PCI adapter they are 1/2 the price for the same model as the PCIe ones :D