1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Can't add more RAM sticks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by popcornuk1983, 17 Jul 2013.

1. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Hello all,

I've recently built a server from some old PC bits and I'm having a little trouble upgrading the RAM.

I've got 4GB of Corsair DDR2 800Mhz in the machine (2x2GB sticks in dual channel mode). When I add a 3rd stick or try adding another matched pair (tried a single 1GB stick and 2x2GB ocz sticks) the PC won't boot.

Removing the original pair and adding a single new stick or the 2x2GB pair, it works fine. I know I must be doing something wrong I just can't figure out what. I've also tried a single stick in every slot to make sure one isn't faulty.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

CPU: Core2Duo E5300
    Mobo: Asus P5KPL/1600
    RAM current: 2x2GB Corsair 800Mhz
    RAM tried to add: 1xgeneric 1GB stick AND 2x2GB OCZ matched pair 667Mhz

Last edited: 17 Jul 2013
  2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Maybe the two types of ram are incompatible with each other?

Have you looked up the timings and done them manually?

3. popcornuk1983

I thought they may be incompatable. But i've tried 2 different types of RAM. the generic 1GB stick and the matched ocz pair.

I checked the timings on the ocz pair and the generic stick and they are lower than the corasir ones that are currently in but A. I though the system would lower the ram speed to the lowest reported speed by the memory and B. I can't even get a POST screen so I can't get into the BIOS to manually change the settings.

Really odd. I've never had this issue mix n matching ram before.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Typical Socket 775 problem. Anything more than 2 sticks was asking for trouble. Or if you want a link, here is one from Bindi from 2008 :
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=1845151&postcount=9

Then there were issues with double sided RAM in case of using all 4 memory slots too... Simply put, 4 memory sticks in Socket 775 was more about luck - same as 6 sticks in X58 boards. The first really usable Intel platform for 4 memory sticks was probably Socket 1156.

popcornuk1983 likes this.
  5. popcornuk1983

Thanks very much for the reply faugusztin. Had no idea about this issue. I would just go out and buy 2x4GB sticks but they're stupidly expensive for DDR2 modules.

Will try it with my friends lower performance 2X2GB DD2 and the generic 2x1GB RAM. Don't mind swapping, the ram speed isn't really important, just the quantity. Server is starting to cave in with just 4GB running!

6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

That's pretty much how every one thinks until they find out that it's not recommended :D

I had mixed ram (different timings but timed the same) in my 1155 rig and it worked fine. In this AM3+ one? fuhgeddaboudit.

7. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I still have 4 sticks in my old 775 board. It's a Nvidia Chipset too, notorious for failing with more than 2 sticks. Strange how those old boards went.

8. popcornuk1983

Before my upgrade, I had a Socket 775 asus board and a core2quad. Had 2x2GB matched pair and a generic 2GB stick I bought from ebuyer (all were 800Mhz though). Never had any issues. Guess I was just luckly. Good thing it's a pet project and not something I'm desperate for.

Cheers for all the responses. Massive help.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

FYI the double sided part is even on the product page (and in the manual), and by the way, i think you have more problems, than that :
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5KPL1600/#specifications
    versus a board like
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QD_Turbo/#specifications
    Seems like a chipset limitation :
    http://ark.intel.com/products/31913/Intel-82G31-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller
    So it seems your only choices are keep the things as they are, or upgrade to something more recent (G1610 + B75 board + 2x4GB DDR3 for example?).

10. popcornuk1983

The motherboard was a budget part when it was released so I'm not surprised by the 4GB limit.

I'll plod along for now with 4GB and get a cheap bundle deal when I've got the extra cash. Again, thanks for your reply. You've saved me some serious head scratching.

If I only read the manual, I really need to rethink the whole men don't read manuals thing.

Edit: I had a P5Q deluxe before I upgraded to my sig below! I sold my old parts on eBay. Should have kept a hold of it. Guess it's off to eBay again.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2013