1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice University Haswell £2400 build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by magnetobob, 9 Jun 2013.

1. magnetobob

magnetobob What's a Dremel?

Good day may I ask for your time and assistance please?

Budget:
    £2400 (minus screen, keyboard, mouse and operating system)
    Potentially these:

However other recommendations are kindly received: would likely keep the OS chosen as really do not like the look and feel of windows 8 however 8.1 might change this; keyboard had good reviews and I fancy a mechanical keyboard however If some one could recommend one which has good spaced out keys that is suitable for both gaming and typing that would be great; mouse really not sure about this all together as have largish hands but want something suitable for work and play; screen seems good value for money and quality and seems like it would reduce the need for dual display but still a possibility

Main uses of intended build:

University build for an industrial product design course will need to handle solid works, corel, cinema 4D ,plus photo and video editing software and in turn the Microsoft 365 package for students (however that wont have much demand) along with being a substantial PC for gaming would like to be able to run arma III, battlefield 4, GTAV and watchdogs at high FPS and in general high graphics settings. Would also so appreciate some future proofing or an expected life in service of about 4 years minimum if possible or room to upgrade such as extra graphics card or more ram if that scope is possible. Would likely have spent less on this build however have decided not to bother with the next generation of game console releases.​

Parts required:
    Main system potential peripherals already listed​

Previous build information (list details of parts):

N/A​

Monitor resolution:

2560 x 1440 for single screen however may choose to dual later on​

Storage requirements:

SDD for system, software and games 2 TB for files and extra games

Will you be over clocking:

Yes​

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):

USB 3.0, Wifi (Bluetooth maybe?)​

Extra information about desired system:

In a perfect world I would like a system which is fast and responsive and will run the software effectively so I can operate efficiently and not have technology hinder me also to be able to play games in high quality would be great and the inclusion of a blu-ray drive would be a nice addition keeping operating noise low would be great if I need to leave it one 24/7 as it will be in the same room to where I sleep
    Further more the potential to upgrade and/or the system to last at least 4 years before I feel the need for a full replacement.​

I hope I have provided all the necessary information and that I have kept it real with what want compared to the total fiancé I can make available for it.

I appreciate any advice and any time you take to help me.

Thank you in advance

Magnetobob

p.s. here is build a idea I put together please rip a part if stupid
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/magnetobob/saved/1JAp

2. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

Although there is nothing wrong with that build, I think you might be better looking at a 3930k. The extra cores/threads would definitely speed up a lot of your programs. The CPU would cost ~ £200 more, and the motherboard another £40 -£50, but it would be worth it.

You could save some money, and possibly get some more performance, by going to either a 7970 Ghz or GTX 770. You could also drop the blu-ray drive, unless you really need it.

You could get your monitor here. It may be refurbished, but given the experiences of bit-tech users of this company, you shouldn't have any problems.

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

No idea why you've built a system with IvyBridge and a GTX 680, seeing as we now have Haswell and the GTX 770/780.

I've spec'd up an i7 4770K, GTX 770 on a nice board, with room for expansion. You could add another GTX 770 later for SLI, but right now that system will fly. It also comes in well under budget, even with the monitor/keyboard/OS added.

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/bbc6af8babde468a95937a94e5b96654

Notes:
    H80i is sufficient for a 4770K unless you're going to overclock the nuts off it
    GTX 770 is nearly £100 cheaper than the GTX 680 you selected, and faster
    Socket 2011 is a possibility if you want more CPU power, but it will cost more
    The Fractal Designs R4 case has noise-deadening padding to cut down on fan racket
    Extra fans might be desired for £10-15 per

4. magnetobob

Thanks for the advice on the graphics card CIE

I have know updated my first build to include the card you suggested

Rici thanks for the info on the source for the screen thats a great saving

5. magnetobob

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

bin haswell and get an LGA 2011 hex core , much better for what you actually want it for.

will you be using compute? if `yes` then you want to look at AMD , Nv compute is aweful (unless its Titan)

and heres a news release from corel:

http://apps.corel.com/lp/amd/index.html

they will be rolling out OCL support asap.... and oooh , they themselves say with OCL (and AVX) it works better on an AMD APU than on an i7 ;)

7. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

It's sad to see our poor students with no money. ;)

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I didn't much like the U2713HM (different to the H model I know). Got a viewsonic vp2770 instead and I'm much happier. Plus I'm pretty sure viewsonic have a zero dead pixel warranty, which I'm pretty sure is also unmatched by any other monitor maker.

9. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

half the budget and buy some useful stuff. Booze etc.

10. magnetobob

thanks to all who left constructive advice

11. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

There is a new 6-core LGA 2011 chip due out soon for around the same price as a 4770K. It's going to be the 3910K or something like that. For want you want it will be far better having the extra cores. Then you only need to spend a bit more for a decent 2011 motherboard.

12. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

You're welcome. :thumb:

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Solidworks doesn't need a huge amount of processing power really, any budget gaming rig would run it fine.

I stayed at the cutting edge of CAD software throughout my Product Design coarse (BSc, so you can keep your coloured pencils) and not once did my old Q6600 struggle. If you model geometry correctly and use sub assemblies when things get complex you'll never bog down.

How the hell you'll find time to game is beyond me, but why should I care.. lol!