1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU for £40

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lw_1183, 13 Sep 2013.

1. lw_1183

lw_1183 What's a Dremel?

First off, apologies if this has recently been asked, I did check the Recommended PSU thread but it seems outdated, plus I think most of the PSU's on that list aren't on the market (could be wrong though).

As the title implies, could someone suggest a decent PSU for £40? As you can imagine, I'm not looking to build a killer gaming rig. I'm thinking of building a system around an A10 6800K BE APU. It'll have what I consider fairly standard components which make a system, two sticks of DDR3, an SSD together with a WD Velociraptor, DVD-RW, wifi card etc. Nothing which I believe should be a major power draw.

If anyone can recommend anything it would be most appreciated, cheers.

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

If you're not using a dedicated graphics card you should have no problem finding a decent one in that range. For £40 you could get something like

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/450w...bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-fan-atx-v231-psu

or

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/430w...-bronze-eff-uncertified-quiet-fan-atx-v23-psu

Either one is fine for a low powered APU build. I'd recommend the XFX a little more though. It has a better amperage on the 12V rail. But if not then anything from FSP, Be Quiet or Seasonic are great and have PSUs in that price range. Whatever you do, don't use any of those 'Value' PSUs that promise 400w for like £15. They're poorly made and sometimes don't have sufficient protection if something happens; for example taking your shiny, new components with it, if it should fail.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Last edited: 13 Sep 2013
  4. Darkwisdom

Good find MrBungle. What's the postage like at Ebuyer? I've never used them.

5. lw_1183

lw_1183 What's a Dremel?

Cheers fellas. I was actually looking at that Corsair Builder, I can't remember where but I saw it recommended a while back (might even have been in CPC). The XFX looks good too, my budget is tight so I might go for that.

And I'll be buying a fair few things from Ebuyer so I'll take advantage of their free delivery :)

6. Behemot

Behemot What's a Dremel?

Can you get Seasonic SSP-350GT on your market?

7. Darkwisdom

I can only find it on Ebay in the UK. But at £43 with another fiver in delivery, you may as well go for the XFX.

But that looks pretty sweet. I've never seen such a budget PSU that was 80+ Gold. That's seasonic for you.

8. Behemot

Behemot What's a Dremel?

Not only budget but mostly Nippon Chemi-Con caps on the important places. I measured top efficiency of almost 94 %, it shut down at 490 W with efficiency of 91,5 %. Only disadvantage is no PCIe connector but you can get SATA->PCIe these days. And it can feed FM2 system with weaker graphics for hybrid CrossFire through MoBo.