1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Wildstar/Potenza Mod - Updated Aug.29 (again)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Gentleman_Dingo, 27 Aug 2013.

1. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

Greetings folks,

It's been a while since I've posted a worklog as I've been working on thing I couldn't share with the greater community. But I'm in the free and clear and it's nothing but public mods for a while.

That being said I have three projects on my plate. This is the one I'm most enthusiastic about! This was supposed to be a sponsorless build but BobDBone ruined that by giving me a long strip of LEDs with a remote controller for the build. Thanks a lot Bob, now I have to use your lights in awesome ways. Way to put the pressure on. :miffed:

Any rate, Bob's generosity aside, here's the case.
    [​IMG]

I was able to score the case, the ASUS mITX board, the MSI GTX 660, RAM, HDD & SDD, and the optical drive for an incredible deal. It was amazingly easy to disassemble. You can tell the MainGear folks started off as modders. The total package fits together nicely and makes a great, portable LAN machine.

Here's the comparison of the designs and the panels.
    [​IMG]

Here's the beginning of the prep work with some of the Wildstar concept art.
    [​IMG]

Conan! How do we trace circles? By crushing your DVDs, see them scratched before you, and hear the lamentation of their fanboys!
    [​IMG]

Almost done with the prep work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tonight, I make some commitments and cut some holes and etch some panels.

Thanks for reading!
    --Dingo

Last edited: 29 Aug 2013
  2. Gentleman_Dingo

Update 01 - August 28th, 2013

Update 01 - August 28th:

I spent a little time modding last night. I double checked all of my overlapping lines to make sure the image layering didn't start looking like a bad M.C. Esher painting.

[​IMG]

And then I started drilling my starter holes. I love my drill press.
    [​IMG]

I just pulled this out of the box. it's brand new and the first thing it gets to cut is a case!
    [​IMG]

I have no idea how I've lived without a scroll saw. These things are AMAZING for modding. I highly suggest getting a scroll saw if you don't already have one.
    [​IMG]

Here the cut pieces leaning against the frame to get an idea of the progress.
    [​IMG]

I've gotten two sides completely cut. They still need to be filed and evened out.
    [​IMG]

I didn't get very far on this side last night. And the forth side is untouched. In all fairness, the fourth side only need 3 pieces cut out.
    [​IMG]

That's all from last night. I'll be working on this again tonight after I finish work.

Thanks for reading!!
    --Dingo

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Love the design plan. -Especially how you continue the pattern around the entire rig. Some people don't seem to get that. They will have random images with no continuity like an impulsive tattoo addict.

I would really love to see this done as 3d as possible.:naughty: You know, add layers of metal and stuff. I hope that's what you are up too.

4. Gentleman_Dingo

Thank you Monkey-brother. (This is Monkeyfun. I did a name change to go with FB account and business name). I am going to add some dimension eventually but this project will go in phases.

I'm going to sit on it after I get the etching and some detail painting on it. I want to think about it for a while. Then I'll add some aluminum on the outside to build out the dimensions.

This project has been kinda on-the-fly and fun. Considering I got this case a little over a week ago things seem to be going fast and free.

5. Gentleman_Dingo

Update 02 - August 29th, 2013

Just a quick update before I go to bed:

I've finished with all the cutting I'm going to do on these panels.
    [​IMG]

Next to break out with the dreaded time-suckers.
    [​IMG]

I had enough time today to get started on etching out the lines... I still need to clean them up but it's a good start.
    [​IMG]

I apologize for not being more verbose this update, but I'm exhausted.

`Nite all!
    --Dingo

6. Gentleman_Dingo

Update 03 - August 29th - Again.

Another Quick update:

Made some progress on the etching:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then I decide to screw it all up with paint...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now, back to painting for me...
    --Dingo

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

That is awesome! Can't wait to see more.

8. Gentleman_Dingo

I got the case finished enough to take with me to PAX. Not completely done, I still have to finishe the painted images, sleeving, and metal layering but a good first step.

[​IMG]

9. Gentleman_Dingo

Thank you!

10. Concept73

Concept73 Wannabe modder.

wow thats some very nice work there!

11. Gentleman_Dingo

Thanks!!! Although it's still not done. I'm going to rip it apart sand down the paint and begin layering the metal.

That being said, I have to get some remodeling completed in the workshop before I begin. ETA until framing and the electrical are done: 7 days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]