1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PC will not boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nichos, 14 Sep 2013.

1. nichos

nichos Minimodder

Hi,

Mobo:- Asus P5K Premium.

I have striped it down, clean the dust & rebuild it 3-4 times before with no problem but, this time will not boot. (PCU & cooler not removed this time)

The Mobo's gneen led comes ON but pressing the start button NOTHING happens.

EATX12V & EATXPWER conectors from the PSW are on tight & so is the cpu fan connector.

Any help will be apreciated ........thanx .........nick

Home build, Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Vendetta Cpu Cooler, 2x2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400, EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E), Excelsior sata 250gb, OCZ 600W Game XStream Psu, X45, XPhome

2. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

have you checked the small leads from the power and reset button to the motherboard?

3. nichos

nichos Minimodder

Thanx Picky,

I have it here in front of me, removed the front panel & the small cables look glued & are not coming off, in the mobo all these wires are on long female socket that cannot go the wrong way on the pins.

What perplexed me from the start are the two sockets coming out of same PSU lead & each says PCU1 & PCU2 for which there is no visible socket on the the mobo. But the PCU must be powered from its socket pins.

I cannot remember how I found them on disassembly but, for some reason I marked the one "L" for left???.

The other thing, if you think would stop it even trying to run or boot, is the battery which I will change with the one from the PC I write this as soon as I finish. ...................nick

4. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

I did a google of your motherboard, there is a small 4 pin power connector for the CPU right on the top edge of the board. I think you will need a connector there from the PSU for it to all work. Perhaps your "L for left" cable goes there.

I have heard before, and maybe some other forum members can help, that the extra power cables for graphics cards fit on the CPU socket, but have the wrong polarity, I would find out first how to tell the difference between them as the result of connecting the wrong polarity to the board could be damaging.

5. nichos

nichos Minimodder

Thanx again,

I have that connected with its own two connectors 3 & 2 pins, is the ATX12V.

The EVGA 3x2 pins connectors 2of them are marked for the e-GeForce 9800gtx card & only fits there. ... ...nick

6. nichos

nichos Minimodder

BTW, I checked the start & recet pins for continuity & they are pressed, & also bridged the start pins but no boot.

7. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

OK lets check that the power supply is fully working. Check out the "paperclip test" here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/ho...supply-psu-test-a-power-supply-and-components

You need to try and narrow down the problem, I would start with PSU, the paperclip test fools the PSU into thinking that the system has been turned on, so check that the fan spins, and that you can detect 12v and 5v across various pins on the connector with a multimeter.

I would also try booting the system with a minimum of parts, eg only one ram stick, cpu and maybe even no drives attached, see if you can find a configuration that allows it to start. If it can start with some items unplugged then you can begin to narrow down which one prevents it from starting.

Did you try removing the bios battery for a minute or so to reset?

8. nichos

nichos Minimodder

I checked the start & recet pins for continuity when they are are pressed, & also bridged the start pins before, but no boot.

Also tried my spare PSU but did not boot either.

Now I bridged green & black cables of Main two piece 20pin plug, switched PSU ON & the Fan works.

I will now do the process of elimination & report again tomorrow. .............nick

9. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Hello Nick.

I have an Asus P5Q board (S775)
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5Q/
    which Im just about to replace in T-minus 7 hours with a new haswell build if you need that.
    I know im in Newcastle, But only postage and you can have that? If you dont have warranty/spare similar mobo.

10. nichos

nichos Minimodder

Thanx a lot PETE,

If that will replace what I've lost adequately I will gladly pay the postage. Do you have its CD, handbook e.t.c to facilitate install?

Please tell me how to pay costs. ...........nick

11. nichos

nichos Minimodder

Hi Picky again,

By process of elimination I found that the only connection that stops PSU & PCU fans to run is the EATX12V plug which has two plugs on same cable & both go into a 8pin socket on the mobo.

Without that, although the fans spin the HD does not run. Even changed the HD just in case.

My test meter across red & black of the power plug to the HD shows 25V. .....nick

12. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

SO, with no hard drive connected, and the CPU power cable removed, the PC reaches bios screen and appears to work? (albeit not booting OS because the hard drive is missing)

Very confusing problem you have!

13. nichos

nichos Minimodder

what is this CPU power cable you refer to? Do you mean the pcu Fan cable?

Mobo has no socket that takes a CPU power cable.

The PSU has 2 cables marked CPU1 & CPU2 but, no sockets for them on mobo.

And the config you mention does not show anything on screen. NO BOOT ....nick

14. nichos

nichos Minimodder

SOLVED

Thanks all for your support & advise.

As the cable connecting to the EATX12V socked was the one stopping booting, I opened the PSU box & one of the cables that connect to this socket showed signs of
    slight white powder or dry soldering which I resolder.

Connected the PSU cables to another PC & worked OK. Now it is in my PC & am back in business, for good I hope.

The only snag is that booting gives "CPU FAN error" although the fan is spinning quite fast with no sign of heating to the touch.

Any ideas on this please? ........nick

15. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Well done working out your PSU issue! If you are getting CPU fan error but the fan is still spinning ok, run a program that can tell you what your actual temps are, for example speedfan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Does your cpu fan have 3 wires or 4? look through your bios settings for anything cpu fan related. The bios might be expecting a 4 pin fan but you have a 3 pin fan connected for example.

16. nichos

nichos Minimodder

Thanx

4pins & I use Speedfan for win8, temps 17 to 25dC.

I am stack with the F1 each time though & also just booted & says HD check none found??, but works OK. Will see later. .........nick

17. nichos

nichos Minimodder

sos

Hi again,

Calamity, win8 will not boot, saying "Analyzing the PC", after 5-10mnts "attempting automatic repair" another 5-10m & "cannot rpair it, try advanced" which says shut down.

Tried it a few times, no good.

I dual boot Win8 with XP & am in here now.

Any reason why the OS is upset after my PSU problems? .........nick

18. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

SSD dying per chance?

19. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

I think you need to run a health check on your OS drive, there are several tools available.

20. nichos

nichos Minimodder

Thanx Picky,

like what, I may have one?

It works with no problems in XP, as I write this.