1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Reufrb H80 from scan or New H60 open box from CCL?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slackda, 20 Sep 2013.

1. slackda

slackda Is aiming for a Headshot!

Reufrb H80 from scan or New H60 open box from CCL?

don;t know much about these things so any input from people would be good. assume that the H80 is better due to the higher number?

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Seen at least one of those refurbs piss all its coolant out.

That said id prob want the H80, but depends what you are cooling.

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I would go for the H80 myself, using one on the rig in my sig the temps are brilliant

4. slackda

slackda Is aiming for a Headshot!

Going to plonk it on fx6300

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Can be hot little bunnies the FX stuff so id chance the H80.

6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

H80. H60 are completely useless on FX chips, as I found out.

7. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

As you are running an FX chip, I'd say go for the H80. However, the H60 2013 edition is surprisingly good. Cools my 3570K @4.8GHz quite happily. Rarely see temps above 70C at full load.

8. bnicholls195

bnicholls195 What's a Dremel?

I bought a refurb h80 from scan a couple of weeks ago. The unit looked as near perfect as it could be, no marks on the radiator or pump. No bad for £35.

9. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Keep in mind these refurbs only have a 90 day warranty. And with the well documented CLC issues (mostly pump failures) I just don't trust them.

A good air cooler will perform as good, will be quieter.. especially at idle, and probably be cheaper if both have full warranty.. and only thing to go wrong on air cooler is fan, sytem will still work with 2nd fan.. or whatever fan you might have and a couple rubber bands to hold it in place.. When CLC pump fails you have no cooling at all so no system until you change coolers.

10. boltonuk007

boltonuk007 What's a Dremel?

Has anyone had any issues with these refurbed H80's? I returned 5 original H80's earlier in the year and every one was due to a noisy pump....was fixing this problem part of the refurb?

11. AlienwareAndy

No one knows. Mine (h100) came boxed as brand spanking new with not a single mark on it (even where the screws bite into the rad and usually take off the paint/powder).

I do know that when they leak Corsair do not ask for them back. Just a few photos before cutting you a cheque. It would actually be against the law to return one that was leaking due to RM's T&C).

Usually with an AIO you find out if it's faulty pretty quickly. The coolit Eco I had leak happened right from the day I fitted it, I just didn't realise.

12. boltonuk007

Well I asked my question after already buying a refurbed H80 :) its in the car and have just had a quick look and like you described its like new. They probably just refurbed every one of them regardless. I just hope when I get it all fitted that awful pump noise does not return, it was a real ball ache boxing it back up and re-fitting my air cooler 5 times in the past!

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I got a H80 Refurb for about £36 (£26 if you factor in the £10 I got for selling the fans) and, like Andy, it looks brand new. Not a mark on it, anywhere. Not even the screw threads on the rad had lost any paint. It's very quiet, and the temps aren't bad, only a few degrees worse than my full loop.

I did read something on Hexus about Corsair extending the warranty on refurbs, but Scan's page doesn't show any difference.

14. doyll

doyll Minimodder

AFAIK Asetek make H80 for Corsair.

No idea if anything was changed in the pumps. Probably not.

@boltonuk007
    You must be a glutton for punishment.. 5 failures and you get another one. :eeek:

@Spreadie
    I've read rumors of longer warranty but have seen nothing in print from retailers or Corsair saying anything but 90 day warranty on refurbs... and that only covers cooler replacement. There is no warranty for damage caused by leaking on refurbished products from Corsair.

Edit:
    Just looked at warranty on Corsair site. Looks like they changed warranty some in August. Now have no damage coverage but do have 1 year warranty on refurbished coolers.
    http://www.corsair.com/en/support/warranty/

15. AlienwareAndy

Any Corsair with a square block is made by Coolit. The H70 round block is Asetek.

However, thankfully Corsair are amazing if they leak. Coolit are a bunch of <insert many expletives here f**k Canada ETC>

16. doyll

doyll Minimodder

There, fixed it for you. :D
    Direct from their website.

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That just means they can't be held accountable, it says nothing about discretionary goodwill in the name of customer service.

18. AlienwareAndy

That's pretty much a copy and paste of Coolit's T&C and, the ones they shoved in my face when mine leaked. Coolit are absolute chit heads when it comes to warranty and I would never buy one of THEIR coolers again (IE with their branding).

However, Corsair are amazing. All you do is go to their forum and kick up a stink (politely of course) and they will sort you out. Ramguy and Yellowbeard are just cheesecake.

I've had a few issues with Corsair stuff and they've always come through.

First one - I bought an X32 Extreme series SSD way back in the day (2009). It had issues, no TRIM. They said in a pm if I flashed it and it died they would get it replaced, so don't do any worrying.. Good to their word..

F60. Died on me. I went on the forum as their CS reps were giving me a hard time... The conclusion? I ended up with two lovely working refurbed SSDs.

So whilst their terms may say that in reality Corsair are one of, if not the, best companies I've ever dealt with when it comes to customer service and satisfaction.

19. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Correct. But law in many countries do hold them accountable.. and my experience with Corsair is if they don't have to do something by law they don't help the customer. This is also borne out by some of their new coolers having huge amounts of problems in the first month or two after release. Fan noise, pump noise, firmware issues, firmware update bricking cooler, etc. Years ago they were much better.

In recent years I've had to point out the laws relevant to problem to get service. Sometimes contacting their rep helps, sometimes complaining on their forum help, but not always.

Customer
    "I need some help with this product of your."
    Corsair
    "We can't help you."
    Customer
    "Well, laws here say you do have to help me."
    Corsair
    "Oh, well than what's the problem?"
    Customer
    "My cooler is making all kinds of noise."
    Corsair
    "Do a RMA request and when you get the RMA confirmation post it to us."
    Customer
    "Okay, I have that but the cost of posting is half what the cooler costs."
    Corsair
    "You are responsible for getting it to us, and if you don't send it to us we can't do anything."
    Customer
    "Well the law says your are responsible.. and also says you are responsible for my time, lost income, etc."
    Corsair
    "Oh. Call our office and we will schedule a pickup for your cooler."

And so on, and on, and on, and on....

It seems if we, the customer do not fight for their rights Corsair just flags their nose at us.

Other companies are very helpful from the get-go. Many go out of their way to be supportive... But Corsair isn't one of them at this time. ;)

20. boltonuk007

Had mine running for a couple of days now and all seems well, nice and quite and great temps. Returning 5 earlier in the year broke my heart because I loved the performance.

MOBO - Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 CPU - i5 2500K @4.8ghz COOLER - Corsair H80 GPU - MSI Twin Frozr Gaming GTX 770 OC 2GB MEMORY - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Quad PSU - OCZ ZS Series 750W CASE - Fractal Define R3 Black Pearl SOUND - Asus Xonar DG STORAGE - Samsung 250GB 840 SSD & 2TB HDD PERIPHERALS - Corsair K60 & M60 with Corsair HS1A Headset