1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Can't Decide: Choosing from a shortlist of Mid-range headphones for a wide range of m

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pookeyhead, 12 Oct 2013.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I've also posted this on Head-Fi, but I know there are many audiophiles on here too.

I currently have a pair of Sony MDR-V700 headphones. I bought them because they had good sound isolation in noisy environments (was a DJ), but I bought them just because at the time, that's what other DJs used. They sound OK, but lack detail, and seem a bit crude at the top end, and they're not too comfortable for long listening sessions... they also don't play nice with my FLACs of classical music.

About me: I'm probably someone who will annoy you in my musical tastes... because I like everything. I listen to a great deal of classical music and opera, but also love sub-bass heavy dance music (yes.. including dubstep.. don't shoot me) and more conventional rock/bands... in short... pretty much the whole spectrum.

I drive my phones from my computer using a Asus Xonar Essence sound card, so very high impedence phones are not something I'm interested in.

I have compiled a shortlist from researching various phones, but I have nowhere near me where I can audition headphones :(

AKG K550

Shure SRH940

AGK K701

Beyerdynamic DT880

Beyerdynamic DT770Pro (32 Ohm)

Denon AH-D2000 (hard to find new now)

Basically I want feedback from those who own these headphones.

I like an open transparent sound, wide soundstage with uncoloured mid-range.... I hate "cuppy" or "boxed" mid range!!!

However, I need sub-bass to be prominent when required... although not at the expense of mid range.

Sounds like a tall order perhaps, but any feedback on my shortlist would be appreciated.

Oh.. forgot to add... these are for home use only, and open or closed is fine... although I do prefer to be isolated from the environment.

If anyone suggests anything outside my list, I DO need over hear headphones that are circum-aural.

As for sound types... I prefer a slighty v shaped response, with slight exaggeration of highs and sub-bass.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

If budget is no object the shure 940 are some of the best you can buy. But your talking £400+ if you can find a uk based dealer.

Akg550 are a nice resonable price good sounding pair. Not used any of the rest so will not comment.

The shures sound a lot better and have better clarity from my pov but are 3 times the price.

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

As a past owner of the SRH940, cannot recommend for dubstep. They are extremely detailed, but I would say the bass is far too light to be enjoyable with movies, games or bass heavy music.

In fact, if you're able to, the Head-fi London Meet is on the 19th Oct(short notice I know).http://www.head-fi.org/t/662004/london-calling-19th-october-2013/

If you can I'd recommend signing up and going down. Almost certain they'll have the K701, DT880 in attendance along with a whole lot more.

On the other hand, my Denon D2000's were my mainstay headphones for every genre until changing to the D5000(which I then modded due to it's comparatively loose bass).
    The nearest in production headphone at it's price range would be the AKG K550, but they are well known for a finicky fit...some people can wear them and the seal great, others they'll never seal at all and thus lose a lot of the low end.

4. Pookeyhead

No way I can make it down to London on the 19th :( Pity.

@rollo... the Shure 940s are around £180... were you thinking of something else?

I like what I've read about the AKG550s, but that issue of sealing is worrying, as I've no way of knowing unless I audition a pair.

I can't find a pair of D2000s new any more either :(

5. Tangster

If you have a larger head, you should also try out the Audeio Technica A900X and AD900X. Excellent all rounders, the only issue being the floating wing-band isn't tuned for smaller heads so my A900X needs an elastic band between the wings to keep it from slipping down my head.

6. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Sennheiser HD 202

Kipper Cake

7. Pookeyhead

There only £30... you sure they'll keep up with what's on my shortlist? I'm sceptical.

8. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770Pros ,very nice to wear and very soft cups. Nice clean sound and well put togather, I've not tried the others listed but it would take a lot to get me to change. 10/10 in my books.

9. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I love my K701 to death, but they are hard to drive. Not on the power side (200mW @ 64 Ohms) but they are picky on the amp side. You can easily be disapointed by them if you do not have the right amp.

10. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

11. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

The 202's are great for the money but not on par with the rest of that list.

Personally in your situation I would buy two sets of headphones, instead of one. The natural/classical end of the spectrum sounds far better through an open design, heavy dance music/dubstep etc sounds better with a closed, aggressive headphone.

Almost any AKGs sound incredible with classical music, but the 550's seem to be the new standard. I've not had a chance to try any yet!

As for the bass side of things, I don't have many suggestions. I was planning to buy a nice pair of headphones for that purpose, but ended up buying a pair of Superlux 330's and leaving it at that. After a few months of use they're very nice, though they were very harsh to begin with.

Also, I would say you should look at an amp for a few of those headphones. I don't know how the 550's fair but my AKGs (601's) sound pants through the sound card and come alive with an amplifier in the loop. Most headphones benefit at least a little.

12. Pookeyhead

I'm considering a Fiio E10 DAC/Amp at the moment, but still undecided on the headphones themselves.

13. Tangster

I'm not convinced an E10 would be a step up from the Essence. I would probably look at the O2/ODAC or Schiit Magni/Modi combos instead. Not nearly as cheap mind you.

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If you've got the Essence ST/STX then they can power relatively high impedance headphones from what I know? I'm pretty sure mine had a headphone amp, so I wouldn't worry about that, certainly handled my 770 pco 250ohms without any issues. Only reason I changed to a Fiio setup was because I was planning on going itx, ended up going for another matx but am now going back to mitx so it's worked out in the end.

I've still got my dt770s and use them most days, one of the most comfortable headsets I've owned, since I normally tend to struggle with wearing any for any extended length of time, getting pain on the top of my head but these are good.

I've no experience of the K701s, but I do have a pair of Q701s, which feel amazing around the ears, but sadly I don't find them as comfortable on the top of the head. They don't have quite as much bass as the 770s, but for things like jazz/classical they really shine with sharp highs. (based on my limited use and research)

Not sure if you've looked at them/considered them, but if you let me know since I'd be happy to sell mine :) (I'm no where near enough of an audiophile to warrant keeping two relatively high end pairs of headphones :p)

15. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I agree. Never been a huge fan of Fiio stuff myself. A CMoy would be a decent option, they're dirt cheap for the quality. I've got a JDS CMoy here and it's awesome with my 601's.

16. Pookeyhead

I've not got the Asus card fitted at the moment, as I've currently got 3 graphics cards in (16x, 16x and 8x) and adding another PCI-E card will drop one of my 670s to 8x. I really don't want to do that, so that's why I'm considering the DAC/Amp.

Thanks for the offer. The bass lightness of them made me drop them off my shortlist early on however, despite being very good for jazz and classical apparently. I'm after more of an all rounder.

I've heard good things about it.... but a damned Altoids tin on my desk?? A 9v battery?? Nope... that would do my head in. I know I could rehouse it, but something about it sets my teeth on edge... on principle :)

17. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

AKG K/Q701"lack" of bass is mainly due to using the wrong amp. They do not mix very well with Fiio stuff, it's not a matter of juice or impedance .... they are just very picky. Tries them on mainboard chipset (that was awfull), dedicated mAudio card, £1000+ Cambridge. and Yamaha amp .... sounded ok but didn't shined. Finaly tried on a "cheap"(read made from a disposal found parts) valve amp (Telefunken ECC83 preamp + Telefunken EL95 poweramp) and it was night and day !

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

IMO the quality boost to be had from a DAC over a card is worth the effort - the noise reduction alone is worth the expense.

I had a pair of HD212's a few years ago and they were sensational for the price, if I was a regular train commuter I'd have a set of 202's stuck to my head every day without question.

19. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

I got dt880 pros back in august, they've been amazing so far running off either my NAD 3020i, or via a little tube mkIII. Haven't tried them on my E07+E09 yet.

agree with Krikkit about DAC over card being worth the cost/effort. I even have my desktop amp and speakers running off the output on the E09 because it sounds much better than coming from any of the internal cards i've tried (various x-fis, currently some asus pci-e card). The internal card just runs my headset for gaming.

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Same here - the added bonus of the E7+9 is that I can hook it up to speakers for general use, then pop the 'phones in for nice listening.