1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Jeremy Hammond gets 10 years in jail for Stratfor Hack

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 15 Nov 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Double standards Cheesecake; perfectly fine for governments to hack & spy on their own people and foreign governments, but as soon as one of the people hacks the hackers...

Gotta love donating the stolen money to charity- genius work & 10 years is bullsh*t.

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

American Justice....there's an oxymoron if ever there was.

It's not about justice over there, it's about business, money and whether you can afford a good enough lawyer to get you off anything.

When you turn your justice system into a business, you have no right to pass judgement on anyone or anything.

Seriously, you couldn't pay me enough to live over there, because unless you have enough millions in the bank, your just one step away from destitution.

4. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Should not have done that...

I should not have done that...

He's certainly going to have allot of catching up to do when he gets out.

5. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

Now lets see if Dave Cameron's friend(R. Brooks) & ex Tory party communications director(A Coulson) ...get anywhere near 10years for their hacking.

6. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Whether right or wrong morally is one thing, but legally was wrong, and using stolen financial details to donate money to charities is still wrong and the charities involved I'm sure we're none too happy to be dragged into the situation, having funds sent to them illegally... I still think whilst some of these fools' hearts might be in the right place, their methods and some of their results belie their immaturity and lack of understanding of the bigger picture.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Guy involved in 1 million dollars plus worth of credit card fraud gets 10 years. Sounds about right to me

8. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

About the same as rape/murder then?

Meanwhile MP's defraud the tax payer for millions in expenses & get a stern email as punishment.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2013
  9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I hope he's going to appeal, there's got to be some kind of rule against the presiding judge being closely involved with the victim, max sentence for a guilty plea is pure spite.
    As for what he did, utter idiot, deserves to be in jail, but the sentence is excessive.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Since there is an obvious conflict of interest (judge's husband was one of the fraud victims), the trial is illegal and the sentence invalid. Justice was not served.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Like justice is served all to often then ?

12. theshadow2001

Your absolutely right. Rapists and murders should get longer than that.

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

This exactly. A judge with personal involvement would never be allowed to judge over here. It would be an automatic mistrial, even if someone found out years afterwards.

Anyways. Hacking is illegal and people know it no matter what the intention.

The only thing I find funny is the length of the sentence, when we compare that to other sentences... Five years maximum is what he would've gotten over here.

14. crudbreeder

crudbreeder What's a Dremel?

When I first read the headline I thought it said "Richard Hammond".

15. ZoomRGS

ZoomRGS What's a Dremel?

The case has caused particular controversy as presiding Judge Preska has been accused of having a conflict of interest due to her husband's credit card number being among those leaked.

Didn't they think she would have been prejudiced on hearing her husband's details................. no matter how much she tries to hide it. I wonder how she got to preside the case in the first place. Well I guess they would have said, "who cares. The lad committed a crime anyway".

16. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

You should move to the states and fill your jack boots, highest prison population in the world but their crime rate is still sky high.

But getting back to this story, a kid hacked a company which makes its money from wars, then donated the hacked money to the Red Cross, knowing full well the money would eventually be given back to the owners ..no one was hurt, nothing was stolen that wasn't returned, so just a geeky publicity stunt really.

Putting a geek in gen. pop. for 10 years for a victimless crime is way too over the top, they could have forced him to teach IT support at community college on min. wage for 2 years ...would have been a much more humane, balanced and productive punishment.

Of course, this is all conjecture until he is found guilty following a fair trial.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2013
  17. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

It's not a victim-less crime.

I work in the accounts department for a charity, and it would not be very much fun having a load of criminal transactions hitting the bank, and then having to sort it out. That's a lot of work that someone could be putting to much better use, especially in a charity.

Criminal gets jail time, good. If you want to make a difference do it without breaking the law or risk the consequences. Go into politics, campaign to your local candidate etc and start trying to make a real impact.

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

The sentence does seem stupid in that the judge was related to the crime, I also think the sentence may be a too long, but I completely agree he should be punished.

19. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

I think the little bit of admin involved would be cancelled out by the free global advertising generated by the story ..but the little bit of extra admin work doesn't create a victim, that would need to involve an actual human individual suffering some great personal loss which would then merit sending a young person to prison and ruining their life.

Except it wasn't a fair trial ..yet you and others are rushing to applaud the sentence.

...& they all lived happily ever after in a big castle at the end of the rainbow.

Meanwhile back in the real world, not so long ago it was illegal for two men to have sex, so following your iron clad logic they are criminals and should have been sent to prison for breaking the law right? ..sometimes you have to break the law for what you believe in, the history of human rights is littered with examples of people willing to do this in order to bring about change.

Obviously some people are struggling to differentiate between a highly organised criminal gang stealing money from credit cards for their own gain & a bright, geeky kid trying to make a political point.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2013
  20. theshadow2001

Nah. I don't think a penal system is a good enough reason to relocate to a new country.

Tags: Add Tags