1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Prices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sim0n, 24 Jan 2002.

1. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

WTF !! ?? !!

How the hell can memory prices have gone up so much.

Just checked scan and 512 PC 133 is £99.99 Ex. Vat

WTF, i remember about 4 months ago whn it was like £40

Anyone know the best place for memory ATM im looking for 2 x 512 PC133 chips.

Or does anyone know when the moemory crisis will end

2. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Simple m8. Manufacturers decide they should be making more profit, and go about price fixing. Illegal, as far as I know, but then someone would have to prove it, wouldn't they.:mad:
    Check out crucial.com/uk. still about £1-110 a stick (inc. VAT) but at least it's decent.

3. MadMan

MadMan What's a Dremel?

Well, considering RAM had been selling at a significant loss for the manufacturers until recently, it is understandable if prices went up. I don't think they price fixed though, just did voluntary lower production to raise the price.

Also, quite a few companies shut down their RAM operations thanks to the losses those low prices were causing, so now there are fewer manufacturers and less supply=higher price. Simple supply and demand economics really...

4. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Nice siggy madman.......

But you have to understand, when the memory price goes up then peeps wont buy it.

So the price will drop again.

OK people, lets revolt, there are 1000 members on this forum

more than enuff to make a difference, can i have everyone vioced opinion about the price of memory.

Who is with me, i will not buy nomore untill the prices have dropped

5. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Come on everyone lets turn this thread into a way of life

/me stand on soapbox

I can se a time, when PC manufacturer and retail shops, will emply us modders. Pc World offering a mod service on there new PCs :D.

And a world where every component is at a good price, and overclocking is as simple as booting your PC and its asking ;

"Good morning, Current processer is a XP2000+ (1.66Ghz)what speed would you like today 500-4500 ??"

6. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Come on everyone lets turn this thread into a way of life

/me stand on soapbox

I can se a time, when PC manufacturer and retail shops, will emply us modders. Pc World offering a mod service on there new PCs :D.

And a world where every component is at a good price, and overclocking is as simple as booting your PC and its asking ;

"Good morning, Current processer is a XP2000+ (1.66Ghz)what speed would you like today 500-4500 ??"

/me gets off soapbox, and looks around for fellow supporters

Lets see this thread alone get about 500 posts PLZ

7. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

It happens this way:

The price drops through the floor due to oversupply/new higher-capacity chips. A memory manufacturer goes bust because retail price is below production cost. The massive uptake of cheap memory causes stocks to be depleted, and with a major player gone out, there is undersupply. Price shoots back up again. No one buys, so stock builds up, and new modules are made, higher capacity, so the price drops through the floor, etc, etc, etc

8. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

I still like my explanation, cos I love conspiricies and blaming the man for everything from price fixing to my tea going cold;)

9. BannedMojo

BannedMojo Banned

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

I had some "supposed" PC133 ram from there, the best I got out of it was 115, and then my I/O cards didnt like having a 44Mhz PCI bus frequency, it wouldnt do 124 (where the PCI bus is at 30) and it deffo wouldnt do higher... IMO don't buy memory from there! Its crap! :p

Get some crucial, as it is BY FAR the best ram I have ever used! I dont think I would use anything else now I have had crucial. My sticks sit happily at 141Mhz CAS2 with all settings as agressive as possible. The thing that tops out then is the CPU, not the RAM... so IMO invest wisely in some good quality stuff ;) You will never look back! :cool:

11. BannedMojo

BannedMojo Banned

Oops - missed out www.cclcomputers.co.uk - got some great RAM from there... I only buy branded ram (even if crap brand :D)

If it aint getting 133 - RMA.

12. batsman

batsman the quiet one

i heard it was a lack of materials to make it with. SDRAM is stupidly priced but then who uses it it's like having a sale on floppy discs

13. macroman

macroman The One

Quite a number of years ago ram was £25/Mb and that was a good price. And £1 was worth a lot more then:eek:

14. BannedMojo

BannedMojo Banned

Hey! SD-RAM is for poor gits (such as myself) who cant afford a decent mobo/memory combo :D

15. relix

relix Minimodder

yeah, I know a guy who was all the time talking about a new PC he will be built, always saying that I will never get enough money for a dual MP, and always saying he has the best PC...

When he finally got his stuff, their was a fault with the mobo, and he had to return it (bad bios), then he bhought another mobo, and he said it like this: "it's only 2000fr (about £32) more and I get DDR ram!" I said like: "what, you mean your previous mobo didn't supported DDR ram???" he: "no". What was this guy thinking? I mean, if anyone buys a new PC now, it's almost impossible to buy a mobo without DDR Ram support! and I never listened to his so called "skilz" again ...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

16. batsman

batsman the quiet one

crucial

crucial.com seam to have the best prices at the moment, it seams to be cheaper than geniric RAM as well.

17. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

October '92 - I paid £42+VAT for 2x1Mb 70nS SIMMS...but in 1969 a 128K upgrade for your Amstrad 1512 (to make 640K total) cost £40 and came as 18 chips. A 32Mb Miniscribe HDD was £379+VAT.

But who needed memory - no Windows! :rofl:

18. darkdrift

darkdrift What's a Dremel?

HEY DUDE, I found some of that PC133 512 ram for $61 bucks man www.pricewatch.com, they got some cheap stuff and look over prices, umm im from USA so i dont know how much $61 bucks is in pounds but hopefully its less that 99